Apr 11, 2011, 8:21 PM EDT
The most obvious injury problem for the Boston Bruins is that of Marc Savard, but let’s face it, the question isn’t about whether he’ll return during the playoffs (he won’t) but rather if he will ever play another NHL game.
Beyond the obvious case of Savard, the Bruins are a fairly healthy bunch compared to some of the other 15 teams entering the playoffs. That doesn’t mean that they are totally without wounded players, though, as Joe Haggerty reports that depth defenseman Steven Kampfer is expected to miss “a couple weeks” with a knee injury.
Kampfer is a 22-year-old defenseman who put together a solid abbreviated 2010-11 season, scoring five goals and five assists for 10 points and a +9 rating in 38 games. Haggerty reports that Kampfer wasn’t expected to be in the Bruins’ starting lineup, indicating that he was probably the team’s seventh defenseman. Shane Hnidy will most likely step into that (inactive) role now.
It’s not a huge blow, but the Bruins’ defense already drops off noticeably after its top two, so losing a depth blueliner is less than ideal. The Bruins claim that the injury isn’t severe, but he will miss at least two weeks.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 2
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 64
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 34
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)