Apr 11, 2011, 8:21 PM EDT
The most obvious injury problem for the Boston Bruins is that of Marc Savard, but let’s face it, the question isn’t about whether he’ll return during the playoffs (he won’t) but rather if he will ever play another NHL game.
Beyond the obvious case of Savard, the Bruins are a fairly healthy bunch compared to some of the other 15 teams entering the playoffs. That doesn’t mean that they are totally without wounded players, though, as Joe Haggerty reports that depth defenseman Steven Kampfer is expected to miss “a couple weeks” with a knee injury.
Kampfer is a 22-year-old defenseman who put together a solid abbreviated 2010-11 season, scoring five goals and five assists for 10 points and a +9 rating in 38 games. Haggerty reports that Kampfer wasn’t expected to be in the Bruins’ starting lineup, indicating that he was probably the team’s seventh defenseman. Shane Hnidy will most likely step into that (inactive) role now.
It’s not a huge blow, but the Bruins’ defense already drops off noticeably after its top two, so losing a depth blueliner is less than ideal. The Bruins claim that the injury isn’t severe, but he will miss at least two weeks.
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 5
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 8
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 26
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)