Apr 11, 2011, 8:21 PM EDT
The most obvious injury problem for the Boston Bruins is that of Marc Savard, but let’s face it, the question isn’t about whether he’ll return during the playoffs (he won’t) but rather if he will ever play another NHL game.
Beyond the obvious case of Savard, the Bruins are a fairly healthy bunch compared to some of the other 15 teams entering the playoffs. That doesn’t mean that they are totally without wounded players, though, as Joe Haggerty reports that depth defenseman Steven Kampfer is expected to miss “a couple weeks” with a knee injury.
Kampfer is a 22-year-old defenseman who put together a solid abbreviated 2010-11 season, scoring five goals and five assists for 10 points and a +9 rating in 38 games. Haggerty reports that Kampfer wasn’t expected to be in the Bruins’ starting lineup, indicating that he was probably the team’s seventh defenseman. Shane Hnidy will most likely step into that (inactive) role now.
It’s not a huge blow, but the Bruins’ defense already drops off noticeably after its top two, so losing a depth blueliner is less than ideal. The Bruins claim that the injury isn’t severe, but he will miss at least two weeks.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 14
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 68
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks