Apr 10, 2011, 1:25 PM EST
Just because a game is a big one doesn’t mean that both sides will show up. Sometimes — such as the case of the Carolina Hurricanes last night – the team that has everything to lose ends up being the one that flops.
Yet if the first period of the NBC Game of the Week is any indication, both the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks came to play this afternoon. The score might only be 0-0 after the first 20 minutes, but the United Center’s atmosphere is electric and the pace is absolutely hectic.
It seems like Jimmy Howard made the greatest number of tough saves, but Howard and Corey Crawford stopped 10 shots each. Howard’s greatest hit might be a timely toe save late in the period while Crawford found a way to put aside a nice one-timer between Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen.
The Blackhawks should be pretty happy with their commitment level so far, with the only low spot being the fact that they didn’t achieve much with the two power play opportunities they received.
The Red Wings could have treated this game with a shoulder shrug, but they’re not going to roll over for their division rivals. As this contest goes along, Chicago’s energy might begin to subside and the tension will build as long as the game remains tied (or worse).
Stay tuned with PHT and check out the game on NBC right now. If you want to follow the game online and chat with us, click here.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 21
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)