Apr 10, 2011, 1:25 PM EDT
Just because a game is a big one doesn’t mean that both sides will show up. Sometimes — such as the case of the Carolina Hurricanes last night – the team that has everything to lose ends up being the one that flops.
Yet if the first period of the NBC Game of the Week is any indication, both the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks came to play this afternoon. The score might only be 0-0 after the first 20 minutes, but the United Center’s atmosphere is electric and the pace is absolutely hectic.
It seems like Jimmy Howard made the greatest number of tough saves, but Howard and Corey Crawford stopped 10 shots each. Howard’s greatest hit might be a timely toe save late in the period while Crawford found a way to put aside a nice one-timer between Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen.
The Blackhawks should be pretty happy with their commitment level so far, with the only low spot being the fact that they didn’t achieve much with the two power play opportunities they received.
The Red Wings could have treated this game with a shoulder shrug, but they’re not going to roll over for their division rivals. As this contest goes along, Chicago’s energy might begin to subside and the tension will build as long as the game remains tied (or worse).
Stay tuned with PHT and check out the game on NBC right now. If you want to follow the game online and chat with us, click here.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)