Apr 10, 2011, 1:25 PM EST
Just because a game is a big one doesn’t mean that both sides will show up. Sometimes — such as the case of the Carolina Hurricanes last night – the team that has everything to lose ends up being the one that flops.
Yet if the first period of the NBC Game of the Week is any indication, both the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks came to play this afternoon. The score might only be 0-0 after the first 20 minutes, but the United Center’s atmosphere is electric and the pace is absolutely hectic.
It seems like Jimmy Howard made the greatest number of tough saves, but Howard and Corey Crawford stopped 10 shots each. Howard’s greatest hit might be a timely toe save late in the period while Crawford found a way to put aside a nice one-timer between Tomas Holmstrom and Johan Franzen.
The Blackhawks should be pretty happy with their commitment level so far, with the only low spot being the fact that they didn’t achieve much with the two power play opportunities they received.
The Red Wings could have treated this game with a shoulder shrug, but they’re not going to roll over for their division rivals. As this contest goes along, Chicago’s energy might begin to subside and the tension will build as long as the game remains tied (or worse).
Stay tuned with PHT and check out the game on NBC right now. If you want to follow the game online and chat with us, click here.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)