Apr 10, 2011, 2:22 PM EDT
After a spirited and scoreless first period, the Detroit Red Wings capitalized on — and survived — different mistakes to take a 2-1 lead over the desperate Chicago Blackhawks heading into the second intermission.
First, there were the Blackhawks’ mistakes. After falling behind 1-0, Tomas Holmstrom provided a quick goal in response when an errant Viktor Stalberg pass gave Homer a chance to score on a partial breakaway. Soon after, Pavel Datsyuk lost one of his gloves but none of his touch, making no mistake when he scored on a loose puck. Those three goals — one by Chicago, two by Detroit — happened in a wacky run that happened in less than three minutes.
The Red Wings also survived some questionable mistakes by referees. The first big moment happened on the Blackhawks’ only goal, as Brad Stuart was tripped while Patrick Kane set up Michael Frolik for what was the game’s first tally.
That wasn’t the only controversial call, though, as Duncan Keith should have received an interference penalty for sending Ruslan Salei‘s stick flying and Chicago also deserved a double-minor when Johan Franzen was bloodied by a high stick. Instead, the Blackhawks received nothing, but they are still down 2-1.
Chicago can still make the playoffs if they lose this game in regulation, but they would need to root for a Dallas Stars loss. Ultimately, they can at least clinch a playoff berth by scoring one more goal than Detroit in the third period.
Stay tuned with PHT and check out the game on NBC right now. If you want to follow the game online and chat with us, click here.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 2
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)