Apr 10, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
Detroit will start their playoff series against the Phoenix Coyotes this week without a vital member of their lineup. Henrik Zetterberg has missed the team’s last two games with a knee injury suffered against Carolina early last week and now they’ll be without him for at least the start of the playoffs against the Coyotes this week.
Without Zetterberg to start the series, the Wings will be without one of their top two-way forwards and in Zetterberg he’s their top point producer. With 24 goals and 56 assists, Zetterberg’s 80 points are a team best and cutting out that sort of production from the Wings lineup going into a series facing Coyotes goalie Ilya Bryzgalov and Dave Tippett’s defensive-minded team, the Wings have to feel good about starting at home to give them that advantage.
Expect Detroit to do what they did today against Chicago in their 4-3 win on NBC’s Game of the Week to try and handle Phoenix while Zetterberg is out. Lots of work from Pavel Datsyuk and getting guys like Todd Bertuzzi, Dan Cleary, and Tomas Holmstrom more involved as well as more looks for Johan Franzen. It’s tough to feel bad for Detroit with a lineup like that, but Zetterberg is key to their hopes of making it to the Stanley Cup final.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)