Apr 10, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
Detroit will start their playoff series against the Phoenix Coyotes this week without a vital member of their lineup. Henrik Zetterberg has missed the team’s last two games with a knee injury suffered against Carolina early last week and now they’ll be without him for at least the start of the playoffs against the Coyotes this week.
Without Zetterberg to start the series, the Wings will be without one of their top two-way forwards and in Zetterberg he’s their top point producer. With 24 goals and 56 assists, Zetterberg’s 80 points are a team best and cutting out that sort of production from the Wings lineup going into a series facing Coyotes goalie Ilya Bryzgalov and Dave Tippett’s defensive-minded team, the Wings have to feel good about starting at home to give them that advantage.
Expect Detroit to do what they did today against Chicago in their 4-3 win on NBC’s Game of the Week to try and handle Phoenix while Zetterberg is out. Lots of work from Pavel Datsyuk and getting guys like Todd Bertuzzi, Dan Cleary, and Tomas Holmstrom more involved as well as more looks for Johan Franzen. It’s tough to feel bad for Detroit with a lineup like that, but Zetterberg is key to their hopes of making it to the Stanley Cup final.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)