Apr 8, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT
Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall has missed the last five games for Detroit with an upper body injury and he’s going to miss two more before the season is over with. With the Wings closing out their season with two games against the playoff hopeful Chicago Blackhawks, Kronwall will be sitting out those final two games so he’s ready to go at the start of the playoffs next week.
We’re not sure if that news is more upsetting for Red Wings fans or Dallas Stars fans as Kronwall’s presence on the ice is one that opponents must take note of lest they get physically crushed. For the Stars, they were hoping Detroit could have him out there to disrupt the Blackhawks and help the Stars attempt to get into the playoffs by knocking off Chicago.
Instead, Chicago gets to face off against an injury weary Detroit team that’s without Kronwall and likely without Henrik Zetterberg as well. While Detroit could still land the two seed in the Western Conference playoffs (they’re just one point behind San Jose), it’s clear their focus is just to get everyone healthy and ready for the playoffs.
This doesn’t mean that Detroit is going to roll over in their final two games with Chicago, rivalries have that way of making sure the blood pressure still runs high, but with Chicago having all the motivation in the world to win and Detroit trying to not get anyone else hurt you could see how a little heat might be off of tonight’s game in Detroit.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)