Apr 8, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
NCAA’s top scorer Andy Miele added another award to his spectacular senior season as he added the Hobey Baker Award to his list of accomplishments. The undersized forward from Grosse Pointe Woods, MI was the nation’s top scorer with 24 goals and 47 assists. His 71 points were a staggering 11 points more than the next best player in NCAA fellow finalist Matt Frattin. In fact, the 71 points is more than any player since 2002-03 when Peter Sejna scored 82 points for Colorado College. With numbers like that, it’s not surprising that Miele became Miami University’s first Hobey Baker Award winner in school history.
Miele has certainly had an adventurous last few weeks. First, he helped lead the Red Hawks to their first ever CCHA Tournament title this year. On the strength of their tournament win, they were rewarded the #1 seed in the Northeast Regional—only to lose in the first round to the University of New Hampshire.
Under any other circumstances, those would be the most noteworthy stories for a college athlete’s year. But for Miele, things were just getting started. After being knocked out in the first round, the Phoenix Coyotes signed Miele as an undrafted free agent last week. Now today, he wins college hockey’s version of the Heisman Trophy to cap off his college career. Not a bad few months for a 22-year-old, right?
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 3
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)