Apr 8, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
NCAA’s top scorer Andy Miele added another award to his spectacular senior season as he added the Hobey Baker Award to his list of accomplishments. The undersized forward from Grosse Pointe Woods, MI was the nation’s top scorer with 24 goals and 47 assists. His 71 points were a staggering 11 points more than the next best player in NCAA fellow finalist Matt Frattin. In fact, the 71 points is more than any player since 2002-03 when Peter Sejna scored 82 points for Colorado College. With numbers like that, it’s not surprising that Miele became Miami University’s first Hobey Baker Award winner in school history.
Miele has certainly had an adventurous last few weeks. First, he helped lead the Red Hawks to their first ever CCHA Tournament title this year. On the strength of their tournament win, they were rewarded the #1 seed in the Northeast Regional—only to lose in the first round to the University of New Hampshire.
Under any other circumstances, those would be the most noteworthy stories for a college athlete’s year. But for Miele, things were just getting started. After being knocked out in the first round, the Phoenix Coyotes signed Miele as an undrafted free agent last week. Now today, he wins college hockey’s version of the Heisman Trophy to cap off his college career. Not a bad few months for a 22-year-old, right?
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)