Apr 8, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
NCAA’s top scorer Andy Miele added another award to his spectacular senior season as he added the Hobey Baker Award to his list of accomplishments. The undersized forward from Grosse Pointe Woods, MI was the nation’s top scorer with 24 goals and 47 assists. His 71 points were a staggering 11 points more than the next best player in NCAA fellow finalist Matt Frattin. In fact, the 71 points is more than any player since 2002-03 when Peter Sejna scored 82 points for Colorado College. With numbers like that, it’s not surprising that Miele became Miami University’s first Hobey Baker Award winner in school history.
Miele has certainly had an adventurous last few weeks. First, he helped lead the Red Hawks to their first ever CCHA Tournament title this year. On the strength of their tournament win, they were rewarded the #1 seed in the Northeast Regional—only to lose in the first round to the University of New Hampshire.
Under any other circumstances, those would be the most noteworthy stories for a college athlete’s year. But for Miele, things were just getting started. After being knocked out in the first round, the Phoenix Coyotes signed Miele as an undrafted free agent last week. Now today, he wins college hockey’s version of the Heisman Trophy to cap off his college career. Not a bad few months for a 22-year-old, right?
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)