Apr 8, 2011, 8:59 PM EST
NCAA’s top scorer Andy Miele added another award to his spectacular senior season as he added the Hobey Baker Award to his list of accomplishments. The undersized forward from Grosse Pointe Woods, MI was the nation’s top scorer with 24 goals and 47 assists. His 71 points were a staggering 11 points more than the next best player in NCAA fellow finalist Matt Frattin. In fact, the 71 points is more than any player since 2002-03 when Peter Sejna scored 82 points for Colorado College. With numbers like that, it’s not surprising that Miele became Miami University’s first Hobey Baker Award winner in school history.
Miele has certainly had an adventurous last few weeks. First, he helped lead the Red Hawks to their first ever CCHA Tournament title this year. On the strength of their tournament win, they were rewarded the #1 seed in the Northeast Regional—only to lose in the first round to the University of New Hampshire.
Under any other circumstances, those would be the most noteworthy stories for a college athlete’s year. But for Miele, things were just getting started. After being knocked out in the first round, the Phoenix Coyotes signed Miele as an undrafted free agent last week. Now today, he wins college hockey’s version of the Heisman Trophy to cap off his college career. Not a bad few months for a 22-year-old, right?
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)