Apr 7, 2011, 12:24 AM EST
When you accomplish something that puts you a group that only includes NHL great Darryl Sittler, there’s a chance you did something special. Tyler Bozak became only the second player in Toronto Maple Leafs history to score a shorthanded goal while his team was killing a 5-on-3 power play tonight.
Sittler scored his goal in a 9-1 win against the Winnipeg Jets on March 19, 1980.
Sure, it’s not as special as tying the all-time record for points in a single game – Sittler scored six goals and four assists for 10 points in a 1976 game against the Boston Bruins – but it’s still a pretty awesome feat.
In a weird way, I couldn’t help but think that this probably wouldn’t happen if the New Jersey Devils were still in the playoff race. Either way, this is the kind of thing might make Jacques Lemaire want to retire to a resort island rather than coach professional hockey for another season.
Either way, congrats to Bozak on a rare goal. You can check it out in the video below.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of ‘embarrassing’ embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)