Apr 7, 2011, 12:45 AM EDT
The jury is still out on Corey Perry being the odds-on winner to nab the Hart Trophy, but if there was an award for the league’s second-half MVP, he would be a natural choice. Many people wondered if there would be a 50-goal scorer in the NHL this season once Sidney Crosby was injured and Steven Stamkos ran out of steam, yet Perry made sure that the 2010-11 season would include at least one.
Perry did so in convincing fashion, too, scoring his fiftieth on a hat trick goal in the second period as the Anaheim Ducks bombarded the San Jose Sharks 6-2 (more on that later tonight).
As Scott Cullen points out, Perry’s ridiculous run includes a whopping 19 goals in his last 14 games. Who knows if hitting the half-century mark in goals will be enough to woo voters to go his way against Henrik Sedin – you cannot really play the linemates game involving the Sedin twins when Perry skates with two elite forwards in Ryan Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan – but those kind of numbers definitely seem to jump out to many voters.
Either way, it’s an impressive jump in quality for a guy who already ranked among the league’s better forwards. Perry has progressed from a pest with serious goal scoring ability to a genuine force in the NHL. Watch this video clip to witness his impressive hat trick.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)