Apr 7, 2011, 12:45 AM EDT
The jury is still out on Corey Perry being the odds-on winner to nab the Hart Trophy, but if there was an award for the league’s second-half MVP, he would be a natural choice. Many people wondered if there would be a 50-goal scorer in the NHL this season once Sidney Crosby was injured and Steven Stamkos ran out of steam, yet Perry made sure that the 2010-11 season would include at least one.
Perry did so in convincing fashion, too, scoring his fiftieth on a hat trick goal in the second period as the Anaheim Ducks bombarded the San Jose Sharks 6-2 (more on that later tonight).
As Scott Cullen points out, Perry’s ridiculous run includes a whopping 19 goals in his last 14 games. Who knows if hitting the half-century mark in goals will be enough to woo voters to go his way against Henrik Sedin – you cannot really play the linemates game involving the Sedin twins when Perry skates with two elite forwards in Ryan Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan – but those kind of numbers definitely seem to jump out to many voters.
Either way, it’s an impressive jump in quality for a guy who already ranked among the league’s better forwards. Perry has progressed from a pest with serious goal scoring ability to a genuine force in the NHL. Watch this video clip to witness his impressive hat trick.
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 0
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 5
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 15
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 23
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 41
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 90
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)