Apr 7, 2011, 12:49 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche’s glory days will be remembered as a time when Patrick Roy was traded to a team that already had two superstars in Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg. People will recall Ray Bourque’s emotional release when he lifted the Stanley Cup, Rob Blake’s booming shot, the steady stream of high profile trade targets and the epic rivalry between the Avs and the Detroit Red Wings.
Some will even fondly remember a young Chris Drury bursting onto the scene.
Yet one guy who gets lost in the shuffle for many casual fans is rugged defenseman Adam Foote. Of course, any forward going into the most dangerous areas of the ice noticed Foote, so they will be glad to hear that he is expected to announce his retirement on Friday.
The 20-year veteran played the vast majority of his career with Colorado, only spending about two and a half seasons with the Columbus Blue Jackets. He might play in one of the team’s final games, but if not, he will finish his career with 66 goals and 242 assists for 308 points, a +99 rating and 1,534 penalty minutes in 1,153 games played. He also won two Stanley Cups with Colorado, playing in 170 playoff games.
Adrian Dater has a nice chronological look at the blueliner’s lengthy career, which you can see here.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 19
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)