Apr 7, 2011, 12:49 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche’s glory days will be remembered as a time when Patrick Roy was traded to a team that already had two superstars in Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg. People will recall Ray Bourque’s emotional release when he lifted the Stanley Cup, Rob Blake’s booming shot, the steady stream of high profile trade targets and the epic rivalry between the Avs and the Detroit Red Wings.
Some will even fondly remember a young Chris Drury bursting onto the scene.
Yet one guy who gets lost in the shuffle for many casual fans is rugged defenseman Adam Foote. Of course, any forward going into the most dangerous areas of the ice noticed Foote, so they will be glad to hear that he is expected to announce his retirement on Friday.
The 20-year veteran played the vast majority of his career with Colorado, only spending about two and a half seasons with the Columbus Blue Jackets. He might play in one of the team’s final games, but if not, he will finish his career with 66 goals and 242 assists for 308 points, a +99 rating and 1,534 penalty minutes in 1,153 games played. He also won two Stanley Cups with Colorado, playing in 170 playoff games.
Adrian Dater has a nice chronological look at the blueliner’s lengthy career, which you can see here.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 0
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)