Apr 7, 2011, 12:49 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche’s glory days will be remembered as a time when Patrick Roy was traded to a team that already had two superstars in Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg. People will recall Ray Bourque’s emotional release when he lifted the Stanley Cup, Rob Blake’s booming shot, the steady stream of high profile trade targets and the epic rivalry between the Avs and the Detroit Red Wings.
Some will even fondly remember a young Chris Drury bursting onto the scene.
Yet one guy who gets lost in the shuffle for many casual fans is rugged defenseman Adam Foote. Of course, any forward going into the most dangerous areas of the ice noticed Foote, so they will be glad to hear that he is expected to announce his retirement on Friday.
The 20-year veteran played the vast majority of his career with Colorado, only spending about two and a half seasons with the Columbus Blue Jackets. He might play in one of the team’s final games, but if not, he will finish his career with 66 goals and 242 assists for 308 points, a +99 rating and 1,534 penalty minutes in 1,153 games played. He also won two Stanley Cups with Colorado, playing in 170 playoff games.
Adrian Dater has a nice chronological look at the blueliner’s lengthy career, which you can see here.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)