Apr 7, 2011, 7:55 PM EST
Buffalo has been rolling right along and they’re within one point in the standings of locking down a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. What’s made that all the more amazing of late is that they’ve been doing it without all-world goalie Ryan Miller the last few games as he’s out with an upper body injury.
While the Sabres have kept moving right along thanks to the solid play of Jhonas Enroth, if the Sabres are going to be a dangerous team in the playoffs, they’ll need Miller in goal and need him to be as good as he’s capable of playing. Fortunately for the Sabres, Miller’s condition is improving and he’s practicing with the team and appears to be heading towards getting a start this weekend.
Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550 AM in Buffalo had this report from Sabres practice:
It seemed as though the teammates shooting at Miller weren’t letting up or aiming low, so Miller presumably is getting closer and closer to making a return. After practice, head coach Lindy Ruff said that Miller felt good after the practice session. When asked if Miller would be good enough to backup at least on Friday against Philadelphia, Ruff told reporters that Miller may even be good enough to start. He then quickly added that they wouldn’t make that call just yet.
“There’s no doubt that he is going to play before the season ends,” Ruff remarked about Miller.
Whether that means we see Miller jump in in a relief effort either Friday or Saturday in Columbus it remains to be seen. It can’t be ruled out we could see Miller get a start against the Blue Jackets but ideally Lindy Ruff wants to see what Miller’s got before the playoffs kick off next week.
It would also help for Buffalo to lock up a playoff spot as soon as possible. The Sabres just need to earn a point to do that be it through a victory or just by making it to overtime, they’ll be in the playoffs. If Buffalo has to go into Saturday’s game in a must-point situation, Ruff might have a difficult decision to make whether to go with the healthy Enroth or the fresh off an injury Miller.
Who are we kidding here? If Miller is healthy enough to play, he’d get the call there no matter what.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 27
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)