Apr 7, 2011, 7:55 PM EST
Buffalo has been rolling right along and they’re within one point in the standings of locking down a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. What’s made that all the more amazing of late is that they’ve been doing it without all-world goalie Ryan Miller the last few games as he’s out with an upper body injury.
While the Sabres have kept moving right along thanks to the solid play of Jhonas Enroth, if the Sabres are going to be a dangerous team in the playoffs, they’ll need Miller in goal and need him to be as good as he’s capable of playing. Fortunately for the Sabres, Miller’s condition is improving and he’s practicing with the team and appears to be heading towards getting a start this weekend.
Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550 AM in Buffalo had this report from Sabres practice:
It seemed as though the teammates shooting at Miller weren’t letting up or aiming low, so Miller presumably is getting closer and closer to making a return. After practice, head coach Lindy Ruff said that Miller felt good after the practice session. When asked if Miller would be good enough to backup at least on Friday against Philadelphia, Ruff told reporters that Miller may even be good enough to start. He then quickly added that they wouldn’t make that call just yet.
“There’s no doubt that he is going to play before the season ends,” Ruff remarked about Miller.
Whether that means we see Miller jump in in a relief effort either Friday or Saturday in Columbus it remains to be seen. It can’t be ruled out we could see Miller get a start against the Blue Jackets but ideally Lindy Ruff wants to see what Miller’s got before the playoffs kick off next week.
It would also help for Buffalo to lock up a playoff spot as soon as possible. The Sabres just need to earn a point to do that be it through a victory or just by making it to overtime, they’ll be in the playoffs. If Buffalo has to go into Saturday’s game in a must-point situation, Ruff might have a difficult decision to make whether to go with the healthy Enroth or the fresh off an injury Miller.
Who are we kidding here? If Miller is healthy enough to play, he’d get the call there no matter what.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 17
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 11
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 18
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 39
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8