Apr 6, 2011, 6:39 PM EDT
Chicago’s been without star scorer Patrick Sharp since he went down on March 20 against Phoenix with a knee injury. The Blackhawks, unsurprisingly have been a bit inconsistent without their top goal scorer but tonight they get a pleasant surprise as Sharp will play tonight against St. Louis.
Without Sharp in the lineup Chicago has gone 3-3-1 and sit eighth in the Western Conference just two points ahead of Dallas and Calgary for the last playoff spot. Sharp’s 34 goals this year are a team best and with the different injuries the team has had to deal with this season, his has been the most inconveniently timed coming right in the midst of a playoff push at the end of the season. While Chicago lost Troy Brouwer last night with a right shoulder injury, getting Sharp back should help their offense out immensely.
With Sharp returning to action, the Blackhawks and their fans have to feel a lot better about their chances of making the playoffs. Sharp has been invaluable to the team this season and has proved that his breakout last season was no fluke. If his knee is back to full health, it’s a huge turn of events for the Blackhawks. Bringing him back against a St. Louis team that plays very physical hockey will ensure that Sharp won’t get an easy welcome back to action.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)