Apr 6, 2011, 6:39 PM EDT
Chicago’s been without star scorer Patrick Sharp since he went down on March 20 against Phoenix with a knee injury. The Blackhawks, unsurprisingly have been a bit inconsistent without their top goal scorer but tonight they get a pleasant surprise as Sharp will play tonight against St. Louis.
Without Sharp in the lineup Chicago has gone 3-3-1 and sit eighth in the Western Conference just two points ahead of Dallas and Calgary for the last playoff spot. Sharp’s 34 goals this year are a team best and with the different injuries the team has had to deal with this season, his has been the most inconveniently timed coming right in the midst of a playoff push at the end of the season. While Chicago lost Troy Brouwer last night with a right shoulder injury, getting Sharp back should help their offense out immensely.
With Sharp returning to action, the Blackhawks and their fans have to feel a lot better about their chances of making the playoffs. Sharp has been invaluable to the team this season and has proved that his breakout last season was no fluke. If his knee is back to full health, it’s a huge turn of events for the Blackhawks. Bringing him back against a St. Louis team that plays very physical hockey will ensure that Sharp won’t get an easy welcome back to action.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40