Apr 6, 2011, 11:51 PM EDT
The precise severity of Henrik Zetterberg‘s lower-body injury is still unknown, but Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said that he won’t play in the team’s final two games of the season, according to Ansar Khan.
This isn’t necessarily awful news for Detroit – after all, they are wise to rest Zetterberg even if his injury is only minor – but it is fantastic news for the Chicago Blackhawks. The Blackhawks are trying to hold off the Dallas Stars for one of the West’s final two playoff spots, so not having to deal with a two-way forward who leads the Red Wings with 80 points is a nice perk.
Detroit will likely still be a tough opponent for Chicago, but the bigger picture concern is obviously Zetterberg’s health going into the playoffs. Babcock said that the Red Wings’ doctors will take a look at Zetterberg on Thursday, so we might get a better idea about how serious the injury might be tomorrow.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 5
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 30
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)