Apr 6, 2011, 11:51 PM EDT
The precise severity of Henrik Zetterberg‘s lower-body injury is still unknown, but Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said that he won’t play in the team’s final two games of the season, according to Ansar Khan.
This isn’t necessarily awful news for Detroit – after all, they are wise to rest Zetterberg even if his injury is only minor – but it is fantastic news for the Chicago Blackhawks. The Blackhawks are trying to hold off the Dallas Stars for one of the West’s final two playoff spots, so not having to deal with a two-way forward who leads the Red Wings with 80 points is a nice perk.
Detroit will likely still be a tough opponent for Chicago, but the bigger picture concern is obviously Zetterberg’s health going into the playoffs. Babcock said that the Red Wings’ doctors will take a look at Zetterberg on Thursday, so we might get a better idea about how serious the injury might be tomorrow.
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 3
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 9
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 24
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 84
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 99
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)