Apr 6, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
A gruesome injury for offensive defenseman Dennis Wideman might have some gruesome results for the Washington Capitals. Bruce Boudreau said that the recently acquired blueliner isn’t likely to play during the Capitals’ first round playoff series, according to CSN Washington.
Wideman was fitting in pretty nicely in his first 14 games with Washington, scoring one goal and six assists for seven points with a nice +7 rating. He was averaging a little bit more than 24 minutes per game for Washington, proving to be a solid fill-in for fellow injured defenseman Mike Green.
It is unclear whether or not Wideman might miss more time if the Capitals advance beyond the first round.
On the bright side, Green is expected to play in Washington’s final regular season game against the Florida Panthers on Saturday. He might not be able to shake off all the rust in that game, but it will probably be a relief for Green to get his legs under him a bit.
- Here’s an (updated) list of available NHL coaching candidates 0
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 19
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 83
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (83)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants