Apr 5, 2011, 12:14 PM EST
Rumors are swirling that well-regarded New York Rangers winger Ryan Callahan suffered a serious injury, with WFAN reporting that Callahan might be out for the season (and presumably the playoffs?) with a broken ankle. ESPN’s EJ Hradek didn’t confirm that Callahan would miss a specific amount of time, but said he also heard rumors of an injury and that “it doesn’t sound good.”
Update: Bob McKenzie also backs up these reports and indicates that a break would actually be better than a high ankle sprain from a healing timeline perspective.
It’s important to note that these stories are in the reports/rumors phase, so there’s a chance that those worries outweigh the severity of a possible injury. Obviously, we’ll let you know once the team or a reporter gives an official verdict on Callahan’s condition.
No doubt about it, if Callahan is out for an extended period of time, this is a huge blow to the Rangers’ chances of making a dent in the playoffs (if they make it). His spirited and rapidly improving play inspired one of the featured videos from Sunday’s NBC Game of the Week, with some thought given to the idea of Callahan becoming a future captain in the NHL.
Callahan already reached career-high totals in goals (23), assists (25) and points (49) this season, despite playing in only 60 games. Yet he’s a catalyst for the team beyond the scoreboard, as his energy, hustle and penchant for throwing around his buddy can be a source of inspiration.
Again, we’ll let you know once something a bit more concrete surfaces, but the Rangers’ resilience could face another serious test if these rumors are founded.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 23
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)