Apr 5, 2011, 12:14 PM EST
Rumors are swirling that well-regarded New York Rangers winger Ryan Callahan suffered a serious injury, with WFAN reporting that Callahan might be out for the season (and presumably the playoffs?) with a broken ankle. ESPN’s EJ Hradek didn’t confirm that Callahan would miss a specific amount of time, but said he also heard rumors of an injury and that “it doesn’t sound good.”
Update: Bob McKenzie also backs up these reports and indicates that a break would actually be better than a high ankle sprain from a healing timeline perspective.
It’s important to note that these stories are in the reports/rumors phase, so there’s a chance that those worries outweigh the severity of a possible injury. Obviously, we’ll let you know once the team or a reporter gives an official verdict on Callahan’s condition.
No doubt about it, if Callahan is out for an extended period of time, this is a huge blow to the Rangers’ chances of making a dent in the playoffs (if they make it). His spirited and rapidly improving play inspired one of the featured videos from Sunday’s NBC Game of the Week, with some thought given to the idea of Callahan becoming a future captain in the NHL.
Callahan already reached career-high totals in goals (23), assists (25) and points (49) this season, despite playing in only 60 games. Yet he’s a catalyst for the team beyond the scoreboard, as his energy, hustle and penchant for throwing around his buddy can be a source of inspiration.
Again, we’ll let you know once something a bit more concrete surfaces, but the Rangers’ resilience could face another serious test if these rumors are founded.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 124
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 95
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 107
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (126)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (124)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (106)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (95)