Apr 5, 2011, 8:30 PM EST
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
If you picture a player who would produce the Goal of the Week, Ben Eager isn’t exactly the first guy who comes to mind. Yet Eager didn’t win the March 28-April 3rd award based on shock value alone, as he showed some impressive hands in scoring a beauty of a backhand goal during the San Jose Sharks’ beating of the Los Angeles Kings.
In a way, it reminds me of Darren McCarty scoring a highlight reel goal for the Detroit Red Wings during the 1997 Stanley Cup finals. These kind of goals show that there are plenty of players who can show flourishes of legitimate talent, even if their primary roles revolve around dirty work.
Here are the poll results.
You can watch Eager’s great goal below.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)