Apr 5, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
If you picture a player who would produce the Goal of the Week, Ben Eager isn’t exactly the first guy who comes to mind. Yet Eager didn’t win the March 28-April 3rd award based on shock value alone, as he showed some impressive hands in scoring a beauty of a backhand goal during the San Jose Sharks’ beating of the Los Angeles Kings.
In a way, it reminds me of Darren McCarty scoring a highlight reel goal for the Detroit Red Wings during the 1997 Stanley Cup finals. These kind of goals show that there are plenty of players who can show flourishes of legitimate talent, even if their primary roles revolve around dirty work.
Here are the poll results.
You can watch Eager’s great goal below.
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 0
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)