Apr 4, 2011, 5:37 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s 2-0 win over Chicago last night was a big one for the Lightning but it nearly came at a severe price. Captain Vincent Lecavalier scored the eventual game-winning goal but later left after being high sticked in the eye in what looked to be a potentially dangerous incident.
The Lightning announced today that Lecavalier has no structural damage to his eye and he may play tomorrow night against Buffalo. Lecavalier is officially listed as being day-to-day.
Lecavalier hasn’t been the prolific scorer we recall from past seasons but the Lightning’s head man has been solid in helping give Steve Stamkos and Martin St. Louis more offense to spread around. Lecavalier’s 21 goals and 28 assists might not reach out and grab you by the collar but it’s good for third on the team in points.
While St. Louis and Stamkos have been the focal point of the Lightning offense, potentially losing Lecavalier would’ve been tragic to the Lightning’s Stanley Cup hopes. Given that Lecavalier and St. Louis are two of the guys there that have won it all before in Florida, losing that experience in the postseason would’ve hurt them badly.
Offense isn’t a big problem for the Lightning (they’re sixth in the NHL in goals scored) but chopping a 50-point player from the lineup would be more than noticeable, especially given that four of Lecavalier’s 21 goals have been game winners.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)