Apr 4, 2011, 5:37 PM EST
Tampa Bay’s 2-0 win over Chicago last night was a big one for the Lightning but it nearly came at a severe price. Captain Vincent Lecavalier scored the eventual game-winning goal but later left after being high sticked in the eye in what looked to be a potentially dangerous incident.
The Lightning announced today that Lecavalier has no structural damage to his eye and he may play tomorrow night against Buffalo. Lecavalier is officially listed as being day-to-day.
Lecavalier hasn’t been the prolific scorer we recall from past seasons but the Lightning’s head man has been solid in helping give Steve Stamkos and Martin St. Louis more offense to spread around. Lecavalier’s 21 goals and 28 assists might not reach out and grab you by the collar but it’s good for third on the team in points.
While St. Louis and Stamkos have been the focal point of the Lightning offense, potentially losing Lecavalier would’ve been tragic to the Lightning’s Stanley Cup hopes. Given that Lecavalier and St. Louis are two of the guys there that have won it all before in Florida, losing that experience in the postseason would’ve hurt them badly.
Offense isn’t a big problem for the Lightning (they’re sixth in the NHL in goals scored) but chopping a 50-point player from the lineup would be more than noticeable, especially given that four of Lecavalier’s 21 goals have been game winners.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)