Apr 3, 2011, 7:24 PM EST
Yale women’s hockey player Mandi Schwartz has lost her battle with leukemia at the age of 23.
Schwartz has battled the blood disease for the last two years and it’s a fight that has inspired hockey fans and people around North America. Schwartz’s story and the work that she and her family put into informing the public about the disease rallied support for her cause in hopes that one day help find a cure. After a recent turn for the worse, hopes reached their lowest and unfortunately Mandi’s battle ended today.
Mandi’s brothers Jaden and Rylan Schwartz currently play for Colorado College in the NCAA and Jaden is a first round choice of the St. Louis Blues in 2010. Jaden’s presence as a first round pick helped shed more light on Mandi’s story and the St. Louis Blues expressed their condolences to the Schwartz family today.
“From the entire St. Louis Blues organization, our thoughts and prayers are with the Schwartz family during this difficult time,” said Blues President John Davidson.
Mandi’s story has been an inspiring one and ultimately a heartbreaking one given her fate succumbing to the disease. Her efforts in raising awareness of her condition and trying to help those in her position with trying to fund research and search for donors have been brave and we can only hope that her efforts will continue on now with the battle that she brought attention to for others in her position.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)