Apr 3, 2011, 7:24 PM EDT
Yale women’s hockey player Mandi Schwartz has lost her battle with leukemia at the age of 23.
Schwartz has battled the blood disease for the last two years and it’s a fight that has inspired hockey fans and people around North America. Schwartz’s story and the work that she and her family put into informing the public about the disease rallied support for her cause in hopes that one day help find a cure. After a recent turn for the worse, hopes reached their lowest and unfortunately Mandi’s battle ended today.
Mandi’s brothers Jaden and Rylan Schwartz currently play for Colorado College in the NCAA and Jaden is a first round choice of the St. Louis Blues in 2010. Jaden’s presence as a first round pick helped shed more light on Mandi’s story and the St. Louis Blues expressed their condolences to the Schwartz family today.
“From the entire St. Louis Blues organization, our thoughts and prayers are with the Schwartz family during this difficult time,” said Blues President John Davidson.
Mandi’s story has been an inspiring one and ultimately a heartbreaking one given her fate succumbing to the disease. Her efforts in raising awareness of her condition and trying to help those in her position with trying to fund research and search for donors have been brave and we can only hope that her efforts will continue on now with the battle that she brought attention to for others in her position.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)