Apr 3, 2011, 4:06 PM EDT
While the Rangers were able to earn a 3-2 shootout victory over the Flyers today, you can’t blame them if they might’ve been feeling a little jittery after how things went down for them last year against Philadelphia late in the season.
Last year, the Rangers season was ended on the final day of the year losing to the Flyers in Philadelphia in a shootout. The loss cost the Rangers a spot in the playoffs and vaulted Philadelphia into the postseason in their place.
This year, the shootout has seen the Rangers improve tremendously going 9-3 in the skills competition. With guys like Erik Christensen, Wojtek Wolski, and Mats Zuccarello the Rangers ability to steal wins has been greatly improved.
Of course, last year was a different story with a different script, one the Rangers aren’t looking to replicate this season. While Brian Boucher was able to stymie Olli Jokinen, Claude Giroux was able to beat Henrik Lundqvist. We’re pretty sure we don’t need to remind Rangers fans how all this went down… But we’re going to anyhow.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)