Apr 3, 2011, 8:56 PM EDT
Chances are you’ve never heard of Marc-Andre Gragnani unless you’re a Buffalo Sabres fan. Chances are similar that Carolina Hurricanes fans have never heard of him either but they’re not going to forget him after today.
Gragnani scored 2:56 into overtime to give the Sabres a 2-1 win. The goal was Gragnani’s first career NHL goal and it’s one that might help put the Sabres into the postseason. If you’re going to make an impression on your team, doing it this way is the best way possible. Jhonas Enroth making his third start in row in Ryan Miller‘s absence made 35 saves to lead the way in goal.
Cam Ward made 29 saves in the losing effort and for the Hurricanes, they sit two points back of the Rangers for eighth place after earning the point for going to overtime.
The win for Buffalo puts them back into seventh place in the Eastern Conference playoff race, jumping ahead of the Rangers by one point. The Rangers shootout win over the Flyers earlier in the afternoon had put them in seventh for a few hours, but the Sabres with 90 points now move up. Buffalo is just one point behind Montreal for sixth place in the East.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)