Apr 3, 2011, 8:56 PM EDT
Chances are you’ve never heard of Marc-Andre Gragnani unless you’re a Buffalo Sabres fan. Chances are similar that Carolina Hurricanes fans have never heard of him either but they’re not going to forget him after today.
Gragnani scored 2:56 into overtime to give the Sabres a 2-1 win. The goal was Gragnani’s first career NHL goal and it’s one that might help put the Sabres into the postseason. If you’re going to make an impression on your team, doing it this way is the best way possible. Jhonas Enroth making his third start in row in Ryan Miller‘s absence made 35 saves to lead the way in goal.
Cam Ward made 29 saves in the losing effort and for the Hurricanes, they sit two points back of the Rangers for eighth place after earning the point for going to overtime.
The win for Buffalo puts them back into seventh place in the Eastern Conference playoff race, jumping ahead of the Rangers by one point. The Rangers shootout win over the Flyers earlier in the afternoon had put them in seventh for a few hours, but the Sabres with 90 points now move up. Buffalo is just one point behind Montreal for sixth place in the East.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22