Apr 3, 2011, 10:11 PM EDT
Detroit once again are the kings of the Central Division. After a 4-2 win over the Minnesota Wild, the Red Wings captured the Central Division after a one year layoff and secured a top three seed in the Western Conference playoffs.
Darren Helm, Nicklas Lidstrom, Tomas Holmstrom, and Johan Franzen each scored goals while Pavel Datsyuk returned to action and had an assist to help lead the Wings to the victory. Jimmy Howard won his second straight start making 27 saves in the win allowing a goal and an assist to Brad Staubitz and Carson McMillan’s first NHL goal.
With the win, Detroit has 102 points on the season and sits one point ahead of San Jose in the Western Conference standings for the two seed. The Sharks have a game in hand on the Wings and an inside line on landing the number two seed. Of course, San Jose still has to hold off Phoenix for the Pacific Division title. They can lock that up with just one more point.
For Detroit, closing the season out with wins is important as they are, indeed, still racing with San Jose for the top spot. The Wings will also be in a position to potentially end Chicago’s postseason hopes finishing the season up with a home-and-home series with the Blackhawks.
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 0
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 15
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 89
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas