Apr 3, 2011, 9:30 PM EST
The Avalanche have just five games left in their miserable season and today they received more injury news that serves to be salt in the wounds. Center Paul Stastny was shut down for the remainder of the season after discovering a stress fracture in his leg.
This season, Stastny has scored 57 points this season good for second on the team in scoring. With 22 goals and 35 points, Stastny’s production has still been solid but not to the levels the team quite hopes for. Matt Duchene has taken over as the team’s leading scorer and the Avs are set up to have another top five draft pick again in 2011.
Stastny’s role on the team as a scoring leader is shared now with Duchene but his role for the team in the future is set as he’s signed until 2014. With the future of Duchene being even better along with whichever lottery pick they pick up at this year’s draft, things for the Avs should be improving. Shutting down Stastny is the right move to pack it in and look towards next season.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)