Apr 3, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
The Avalanche have just five games left in their miserable season and today they received more injury news that serves to be salt in the wounds. Center Paul Stastny was shut down for the remainder of the season after discovering a stress fracture in his leg.
This season, Stastny has scored 57 points this season good for second on the team in scoring. With 22 goals and 35 points, Stastny’s production has still been solid but not to the levels the team quite hopes for. Matt Duchene has taken over as the team’s leading scorer and the Avs are set up to have another top five draft pick again in 2011.
Stastny’s role on the team as a scoring leader is shared now with Duchene but his role for the team in the future is set as he’s signed until 2014. With the future of Duchene being even better along with whichever lottery pick they pick up at this year’s draft, things for the Avs should be improving. Shutting down Stastny is the right move to pack it in and look towards next season.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 11
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)