Apr 3, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
The Avalanche have just five games left in their miserable season and today they received more injury news that serves to be salt in the wounds. Center Paul Stastny was shut down for the remainder of the season after discovering a stress fracture in his leg.
This season, Stastny has scored 57 points this season good for second on the team in scoring. With 22 goals and 35 points, Stastny’s production has still been solid but not to the levels the team quite hopes for. Matt Duchene has taken over as the team’s leading scorer and the Avs are set up to have another top five draft pick again in 2011.
Stastny’s role on the team as a scoring leader is shared now with Duchene but his role for the team in the future is set as he’s signed until 2014. With the future of Duchene being even better along with whichever lottery pick they pick up at this year’s draft, things for the Avs should be improving. Shutting down Stastny is the right move to pack it in and look towards next season.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)