Apr 3, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
The Avalanche have just five games left in their miserable season and today they received more injury news that serves to be salt in the wounds. Center Paul Stastny was shut down for the remainder of the season after discovering a stress fracture in his leg.
This season, Stastny has scored 57 points this season good for second on the team in scoring. With 22 goals and 35 points, Stastny’s production has still been solid but not to the levels the team quite hopes for. Matt Duchene has taken over as the team’s leading scorer and the Avs are set up to have another top five draft pick again in 2011.
Stastny’s role on the team as a scoring leader is shared now with Duchene but his role for the team in the future is set as he’s signed until 2014. With the future of Duchene being even better along with whichever lottery pick they pick up at this year’s draft, things for the Avs should be improving. Shutting down Stastny is the right move to pack it in and look towards next season.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)