Apr 3, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
The Avalanche have just five games left in their miserable season and today they received more injury news that serves to be salt in the wounds. Center Paul Stastny was shut down for the remainder of the season after discovering a stress fracture in his leg.
This season, Stastny has scored 57 points this season good for second on the team in scoring. With 22 goals and 35 points, Stastny’s production has still been solid but not to the levels the team quite hopes for. Matt Duchene has taken over as the team’s leading scorer and the Avs are set up to have another top five draft pick again in 2011.
Stastny’s role on the team as a scoring leader is shared now with Duchene but his role for the team in the future is set as he’s signed until 2014. With the future of Duchene being even better along with whichever lottery pick they pick up at this year’s draft, things for the Avs should be improving. Shutting down Stastny is the right move to pack it in and look towards next season.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63