Apr 3, 2011, 3:55 PM EST
Of course, this game just had to end in a shootout, didn’t it?
Last season, the Philadelphia Flyers prevailed in a dramatic – if a bit unsettling – shootout against the New York Rangers to earn a playoff spot while booting the Rangers out of the postseason. This afternoon’s skills competition didn’t have the same consequences for the Flyers, but the Rangers earned a huge two points with their win against Philadelphia in the NBC Game of the Week.
Erik Christensen and Wojtek Wolski scored in the shootout for the Rangers, while Henrik Lundqvist turned aside both of Philadelphia’s attempts. The Flyers managed to wrestle a point out of this game thanks to a Nik Zherdev goal in the third period, as the hot-and-cold Russian connected thanks to a beautiful pass by Claude Giroux.
Bryan McCabe and Ruslan Fedotenko scored the Rangers’ two regulation goals while James Van Riemsdyk found the twine for Philly’s other tally. Both Lundqvist and Sergei Bobrovsky made 32 out of 34 saves, but Lundqvist earned his 34th win of the season today.
With this win, the Rangers move into seventh place in the Eastern Conference with 89 points with three games left. This gives them a one-point lead over the eighth place Buffalo Sabres (88 points with four games remaining), a three-point lead over the ninth-place Carolina Hurricanes (86 with four games left) and a five point margin over the 10th place Toronto Maple Leafs (84 with three games remaining). It also pulls them to within two points of the sixth-place Montreal Canadiens (91 points with three games left). The only drawback is that they didn’t earn a non-shootout win, which could be a problem if they end up needing a tiebreaker.
For more on the Rangers’ chances of surviving the playoff bubble battle, read this post.
While the Flyers would have preferred to earn the win, they actually moved back into first place in the Eastern Conference thanks to the charity point because they have one more non-shootout win than the Washington Capitals. Both teams have three games left on their schedules, so it should be a fun race to watch (check out the details of their home stretch runs here).
This was a big win for the Rangers, but both New York and Philadelphia still have a challenging week ahead of themselves. Stick with PHT for the lowdown on all the playoff races and tune into NBC at 12:30 pm ET to see what could be a huge game for the Chicago Blackhawks against the Detroit Red Wings next Sunday.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)