Apr 3, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Both the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers have plenty to play for in the latest NBC Game of the Week, something that showed in a spirited first period.
It looked like the Rangers would go into the first intermission trailing 1-0 – albeit with a 5 on 3 power play – but Bryan McCabe fired a slap shot over Sergei Bobrovsky with less than a second remaining to tie things up. The Rangers will also begin the second period with 1:26 left on their one man advantage.
The Flyers carried the tempo of the game for big chunks of the first period, with Nik Zherdev making a big impact against his former team while Marian Gaborik has been showing a surprising amount of defensive acumen for the Rangers. It ended up being James van Riemsdyk who scored the Flyers’ only goal of the game so far, though, as he banged in a rebound after some solid cycling work by Claude Giroux and Sean O’Donnell.
These two teams don’t like each and have some interesting recent history, as the Flyers crushed the Rangers’ playoff hopes last season in a well-documented shootout. It should be fascinating to see how this game shakes out, so stay tuned for more action.
If you want to stream the game and chat with us about the game, click here.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)