Apr 3, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Both the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers have plenty to play for in the latest NBC Game of the Week, something that showed in a spirited first period.
It looked like the Rangers would go into the first intermission trailing 1-0 – albeit with a 5 on 3 power play – but Bryan McCabe fired a slap shot over Sergei Bobrovsky with less than a second remaining to tie things up. The Rangers will also begin the second period with 1:26 left on their one man advantage.
The Flyers carried the tempo of the game for big chunks of the first period, with Nik Zherdev making a big impact against his former team while Marian Gaborik has been showing a surprising amount of defensive acumen for the Rangers. It ended up being James van Riemsdyk who scored the Flyers’ only goal of the game so far, though, as he banged in a rebound after some solid cycling work by Claude Giroux and Sean O’Donnell.
These two teams don’t like each and have some interesting recent history, as the Flyers crushed the Rangers’ playoff hopes last season in a well-documented shootout. It should be fascinating to see how this game shakes out, so stay tuned for more action.
If you want to stream the game and chat with us about the game, click here.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 1
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 37
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 25
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 78
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1