Apr 3, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Both the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers have plenty to play for in the latest NBC Game of the Week, something that showed in a spirited first period.
It looked like the Rangers would go into the first intermission trailing 1-0 – albeit with a 5 on 3 power play – but Bryan McCabe fired a slap shot over Sergei Bobrovsky with less than a second remaining to tie things up. The Rangers will also begin the second period with 1:26 left on their one man advantage.
The Flyers carried the tempo of the game for big chunks of the first period, with Nik Zherdev making a big impact against his former team while Marian Gaborik has been showing a surprising amount of defensive acumen for the Rangers. It ended up being James van Riemsdyk who scored the Flyers’ only goal of the game so far, though, as he banged in a rebound after some solid cycling work by Claude Giroux and Sean O’Donnell.
These two teams don’t like each and have some interesting recent history, as the Flyers crushed the Rangers’ playoff hopes last season in a well-documented shootout. It should be fascinating to see how this game shakes out, so stay tuned for more action.
If you want to stream the game and chat with us about the game, click here.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 0
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 2
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 42
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)