Apr 3, 2011, 1:32 PM EST
Both the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers have plenty to play for in the latest NBC Game of the Week, something that showed in a spirited first period.
It looked like the Rangers would go into the first intermission trailing 1-0 – albeit with a 5 on 3 power play – but Bryan McCabe fired a slap shot over Sergei Bobrovsky with less than a second remaining to tie things up. The Rangers will also begin the second period with 1:26 left on their one man advantage.
The Flyers carried the tempo of the game for big chunks of the first period, with Nik Zherdev making a big impact against his former team while Marian Gaborik has been showing a surprising amount of defensive acumen for the Rangers. It ended up being James van Riemsdyk who scored the Flyers’ only goal of the game so far, though, as he banged in a rebound after some solid cycling work by Claude Giroux and Sean O’Donnell.
These two teams don’t like each and have some interesting recent history, as the Flyers crushed the Rangers’ playoff hopes last season in a well-documented shootout. It should be fascinating to see how this game shakes out, so stay tuned for more action.
If you want to stream the game and chat with us about the game, click here.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)