Apr 3, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Both the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers have plenty to play for in the latest NBC Game of the Week, something that showed in a spirited first period.
It looked like the Rangers would go into the first intermission trailing 1-0 – albeit with a 5 on 3 power play – but Bryan McCabe fired a slap shot over Sergei Bobrovsky with less than a second remaining to tie things up. The Rangers will also begin the second period with 1:26 left on their one man advantage.
The Flyers carried the tempo of the game for big chunks of the first period, with Nik Zherdev making a big impact against his former team while Marian Gaborik has been showing a surprising amount of defensive acumen for the Rangers. It ended up being James van Riemsdyk who scored the Flyers’ only goal of the game so far, though, as he banged in a rebound after some solid cycling work by Claude Giroux and Sean O’Donnell.
These two teams don’t like each and have some interesting recent history, as the Flyers crushed the Rangers’ playoff hopes last season in a well-documented shootout. It should be fascinating to see how this game shakes out, so stay tuned for more action.
If you want to stream the game and chat with us about the game, click here.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)