Apr 1, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
The Zdeno Chara hit looked so scary that many thought that Max Pacioretty‘s career might have been over, even if Mark Recchi said the Montreal Canadiens “embellished” his injuries. The Canadiens released word that Pacioretty was back on the ice today, only three weeks after that frightening collision left him with a concussion and a broken vertebra.
(Some might think that this is an April Fool’s Day prank, but reputable sources such as TSN pass this note along. It is surprising enough that such a reaction seems natural, though.)
The on-ice workout reportedly lasted about 20 minutes, as Pacioretty skated with fellow injured player Andrei Markov along with Habs strength coach Pierre Allard, according to TSN.
Before fans label Recchi as some kind of soothsayer, it’s important to note that there’s a big difference between skating on the ice and actually playing in an NHL game again. That being said, this marks the beginning of his rehabilitation, according to Canadiens coach Jacques Martin.
It would be an amazing story if Pacioretty was able to come back during the playoffs, but the resumption of his career in general would be nice to see even if he doesn’t make it back until 2011-12. Naturally, we’ll keep you updated either way.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 9
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)