Apr 1, 2011, 3:25 PM EDT
Maybe he came along a little too late to lead his team to the playoffs, but the NHL named Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer the Rookie of the Month for March.
Reimer went 9-4-1 with a 2.87 GAA, 91.3 save percentage and one shutout in March, according to the league. Overall, Reimer is 19-8-4 with an even better 92.2 save percentage, 2.55 GAA and three shutouts during the 2010-11 season.
It’ll be interesting to see if Reimer can make good on a nice half-season of work, but the Maple Leafs finally have a young goalie whom they can attach their hopes to going forward.
Here is the list of rookie of the month winners during this season, from an NHL press release.
Reimer joins previous Rookie of the Month winners Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October), Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November), Logan Couture of the San Jose Sharks (December), Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes (January) and Michael Grabner of the New York Islanders (February).
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5