Apr 1, 2011, 3:25 PM EDT
Maybe he came along a little too late to lead his team to the playoffs, but the NHL named Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer the Rookie of the Month for March.
Reimer went 9-4-1 with a 2.87 GAA, 91.3 save percentage and one shutout in March, according to the league. Overall, Reimer is 19-8-4 with an even better 92.2 save percentage, 2.55 GAA and three shutouts during the 2010-11 season.
It’ll be interesting to see if Reimer can make good on a nice half-season of work, but the Maple Leafs finally have a young goalie whom they can attach their hopes to going forward.
Here is the list of rookie of the month winners during this season, from an NHL press release.
Reimer joins previous Rookie of the Month winners Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October), Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November), Logan Couture of the San Jose Sharks (December), Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes (January) and Michael Grabner of the New York Islanders (February).
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 7
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)