Apr 1, 2011, 3:25 PM EST
Maybe he came along a little too late to lead his team to the playoffs, but the NHL named Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer the Rookie of the Month for March.
Reimer went 9-4-1 with a 2.87 GAA, 91.3 save percentage and one shutout in March, according to the league. Overall, Reimer is 19-8-4 with an even better 92.2 save percentage, 2.55 GAA and three shutouts during the 2010-11 season.
It’ll be interesting to see if Reimer can make good on a nice half-season of work, but the Maple Leafs finally have a young goalie whom they can attach their hopes to going forward.
Here is the list of rookie of the month winners during this season, from an NHL press release.
Reimer joins previous Rookie of the Month winners Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October), Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November), Logan Couture of the San Jose Sharks (December), Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes (January) and Michael Grabner of the New York Islanders (February).
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 3
- In praise of the Hamburglar 13
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54