Apr 1, 2011, 3:25 PM EDT
Maybe he came along a little too late to lead his team to the playoffs, but the NHL named Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer the Rookie of the Month for March.
Reimer went 9-4-1 with a 2.87 GAA, 91.3 save percentage and one shutout in March, according to the league. Overall, Reimer is 19-8-4 with an even better 92.2 save percentage, 2.55 GAA and three shutouts during the 2010-11 season.
It’ll be interesting to see if Reimer can make good on a nice half-season of work, but the Maple Leafs finally have a young goalie whom they can attach their hopes to going forward.
Here is the list of rookie of the month winners during this season, from an NHL press release.
Reimer joins previous Rookie of the Month winners Michal Neuvirth of the Washington Capitals (October), Sergei Bobrovsky of the Philadelphia Flyers (November), Logan Couture of the San Jose Sharks (December), Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes (January) and Michael Grabner of the New York Islanders (February).
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)