Apr 1, 2011, 12:08 AM EST
As you may already know, Washington Capitals defenseman Dennis Wideman will be out an indefinite amount of time with a leg injury. As it turns out, the previously mentioned week-to-week window might not even be sufficient (though it could be), as CSN Washington reports that Wideman has been hospitalized with hematoma in his leg.
For those of you looking for an explanation on what exactly hematoma is, CSN Washington describes it this way: “A hemotoma can refer to just a bruise, but in some cases, it can cause serious swelling. TSN reports Wideman’s swelling is significant enough to require surgery to drain blood from the injury.”
(Read more about that gross-sounding injury in Bob McKenzie’s TSN report.)
It sounds like Wideman’s surgery could be pretty serious, with his target return date being anyone’s guess. The team already was dealing with injuries to its most potent offensive defensemen, so this makes things that much tougher. Mike Green is shaking off what seems like a bad concussion and even Tom Poti is out, so the team must continue to transition to a defense-first approach.
For whatever amount of time those three blueliners are missing, the offensive focus shifts to guys such as stellar rookie John Carlson. As talented as Carlson might be, it’s likely that the team won’t be able to attack in the same way with Wideman on the shelf.
On the bright side, it seems like Wideman is at least exhibiting a somewhat sick sense of humor about the situation. Mike Knuble told Katie Carrera that Wideman is sending some “gruesome” pictures of the injury to his Washington teammates.
Knuble: “It’s pretty grotesque how Dennis is opened up right now. I think he’s pretty much high all the time to deal with the pain.”
We’ll keep you updated as more information surfaces regarding the condition of Wideman, Green, Poti and any other Capitals who might get banged up. If Washington can manage to avoid gruesome scoreboard results without their blueline offensive catalysts, it would say a lot about a team that has shown plenty of resilience already.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)