Mar 31, 2011, 12:40 PM EST
One of college hockey’s most hotly pursued free agents has decided on a home. Merrimack College forward Stephane Da Costa has signed with the Ottawa Senators.
In two seasons at Merrimack, the native of Paris, France put up 30 goals and 60 assists and became an instant breakout candidate for an NHL team to swoop in and sign him. After being scouted by more than 20 teams, Da Costa’s choices were narrowed down, reportedly, to Ottawa, Minnesota, and Florida.
Bryan Murray and the Sens won out though and Da Costa joins a pack of other former NCAA players. Bobby Butler (UNH), Patrick Wiercioch (Denver), Colin Greening (Cornell), Erik Condra (Notre Dame), Ryan Shannon (Boston College), Jesse Winchester (Colgate), and Brian Lee (North Dakota) are the team’s other college players and it’s possible that Da Costa will be the best of them all in Ottawa.
At 5’11″ 180 pounds, Da Costa is a playmaking center and if reports are true from Merrimack beat writer Mike McMahon, Da Costa will make his debut with the Senators this season on Saturday against Toronto. It’s rare when college kids are signed out of school and get to go right to the NHL like this, but Ottawa is a special situation in that they could use all the help they can get and Da Costa can provide them with some real offense. Lord knows Jason Spezza can’t do it all by himself.
(Photo from HockeyEastOnline.com)
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)