Mar 31, 2011, 8:48 PM EST
New York Rangers sniper Marian Gaborik usually finds himself on the wrong end of injury reports, but tonight he delivered a hit that forced another player out of a game. Gaborik received a two-minute boarding penalty (and created a scuffle that inspired some matching roughing minors) after checking New York Islanders Frans Nielsen from behind.
Eddie Olczyk and Jeremy Roenick partially blamed Nielsen for the impact of the hit during a Versus intermission report, saying that he put himself in danger by turning his back at an awkward time. Roenick went far enough to say that the injury didn’t look that bad, judging from his own experiences, but we’ll have to wait and see if JR was correct. Nielsen reportedly won’t return to a Rangers-Islanders game that only really means anything to the Rangers.
There’s no word on how severe the injury actually is and it’s tough to say if Gaborik is at risk of facing any discipline from the league. If Nielsen’s injury is even somewhat serious, then the Islanders would probably be wise to shut him down for the season, since they only have draft positioning to (not?) fight for at this point.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)