Mar 31, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT
New York Rangers sniper Marian Gaborik usually finds himself on the wrong end of injury reports, but tonight he delivered a hit that forced another player out of a game. Gaborik received a two-minute boarding penalty (and created a scuffle that inspired some matching roughing minors) after checking New York Islanders Frans Nielsen from behind.
Eddie Olczyk and Jeremy Roenick partially blamed Nielsen for the impact of the hit during a Versus intermission report, saying that he put himself in danger by turning his back at an awkward time. Roenick went far enough to say that the injury didn’t look that bad, judging from his own experiences, but we’ll have to wait and see if JR was correct. Nielsen reportedly won’t return to a Rangers-Islanders game that only really means anything to the Rangers.
There’s no word on how severe the injury actually is and it’s tough to say if Gaborik is at risk of facing any discipline from the league. If Nielsen’s injury is even somewhat serious, then the Islanders would probably be wise to shut him down for the season, since they only have draft positioning to (not?) fight for at this point.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (73)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)