Mar 31, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT
New York Rangers sniper Marian Gaborik usually finds himself on the wrong end of injury reports, but tonight he delivered a hit that forced another player out of a game. Gaborik received a two-minute boarding penalty (and created a scuffle that inspired some matching roughing minors) after checking New York Islanders Frans Nielsen from behind.
Eddie Olczyk and Jeremy Roenick partially blamed Nielsen for the impact of the hit during a Versus intermission report, saying that he put himself in danger by turning his back at an awkward time. Roenick went far enough to say that the injury didn’t look that bad, judging from his own experiences, but we’ll have to wait and see if JR was correct. Nielsen reportedly won’t return to a Rangers-Islanders game that only really means anything to the Rangers.
There’s no word on how severe the injury actually is and it’s tough to say if Gaborik is at risk of facing any discipline from the league. If Nielsen’s injury is even somewhat serious, then the Islanders would probably be wise to shut him down for the season, since they only have draft positioning to (not?) fight for at this point.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 11
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 28
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)