Mar 31, 2011, 6:31 PM EDT
Being the Columbus Blue Jackets is tough these days. They’re in last place in the Central Division and they’re missing the playoffs yet again this season. Tonight they face Alexander Ovechkin and the Capitals in Washington, D.C. and now they’re going to do that without their own captain.
Rick Nash is a scratch for tonight’s game with an undisclosed injury and will be checked out further tomorrow. Tomas Kubalik was called up from Springfield in the AHL to take his spot in the lineup tonight. It’s only the second game Nash has missed this year and for a Jackets team playing the role of spoiler the rest of the way, it’s just another kick in the ribs for a team just struggling to get by.
Columbus has been unable to keep teams from scoring on them and scoring goals of their own have been a bit of a chore. Taking their main offensive weapon out of the lineup hurts for sure. If they want to be playoff spoilers, they’ll need to rally in a big way.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)