Mar 31, 2011, 6:31 PM EDT
Being the Columbus Blue Jackets is tough these days. They’re in last place in the Central Division and they’re missing the playoffs yet again this season. Tonight they face Alexander Ovechkin and the Capitals in Washington, D.C. and now they’re going to do that without their own captain.
Rick Nash is a scratch for tonight’s game with an undisclosed injury and will be checked out further tomorrow. Tomas Kubalik was called up from Springfield in the AHL to take his spot in the lineup tonight. It’s only the second game Nash has missed this year and for a Jackets team playing the role of spoiler the rest of the way, it’s just another kick in the ribs for a team just struggling to get by.
Columbus has been unable to keep teams from scoring on them and scoring goals of their own have been a bit of a chore. Taking their main offensive weapon out of the lineup hurts for sure. If they want to be playoff spoilers, they’ll need to rally in a big way.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)