Mar 30, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
Potentially playoff-hope ruining news out of Buffalo.
Sabres goalie Ryan Miller is out of tonight’s game with an upper body injury. Jhonas Enroth will get the call in goal tonight against the Rangers as the Sabres have a crucial game tonight. With a win, the Sabres can catch up to the Rangers for the seventh seed in the East. With a loss, it opens the door for Carolina to get to within a point of eighth should they beat Montreal tonight and the Sabres lose.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington has the story.
There is no word on the nature or severity of the injury but it’s believed to be an upper-body situation. Miller did take a slapshot from Dion Phaneuf to the collarbone area with 14:48 left in the third period of Tuesday night’s 4-3 loss at Toronto. He also took a Brian Rolston slapshot directly on the mask in the first period of Saturday’s 2-0 win over New Jersey.
The shot Miller took last night from Phaneuf caught him up high around the collarbone and stunned him for a bit late in the game. While there’s no word on what, exactly, Miller’s injury is it could not come at a worse time for the Sabres as they’re teetering on the edge of losing their grip on a playoff spot. While Miller could certainly stand to get a break here down the stretch, having it come this way is not reassuring in any way.
Patrick Lalime will serve as Enroth’s backup more than likely. If the Sabres needed more of a reason to get focused tonight, they’ve got it now. Fortunately for them Enroth has done well in the few starts he’s made this season going 5-2-1 with a 2.78 goals against average and a .906 save percentage.
Buckle up Buffalo fans, things just got a lot more interesting in all the wrong ways.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)