Mar 30, 2011, 5:14 PM EST
Potentially playoff-hope ruining news out of Buffalo.
Sabres goalie Ryan Miller is out of tonight’s game with an upper body injury. Jhonas Enroth will get the call in goal tonight against the Rangers as the Sabres have a crucial game tonight. With a win, the Sabres can catch up to the Rangers for the seventh seed in the East. With a loss, it opens the door for Carolina to get to within a point of eighth should they beat Montreal tonight and the Sabres lose.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington has the story.
There is no word on the nature or severity of the injury but it’s believed to be an upper-body situation. Miller did take a slapshot from Dion Phaneuf to the collarbone area with 14:48 left in the third period of Tuesday night’s 4-3 loss at Toronto. He also took a Brian Rolston slapshot directly on the mask in the first period of Saturday’s 2-0 win over New Jersey.
The shot Miller took last night from Phaneuf caught him up high around the collarbone and stunned him for a bit late in the game. While there’s no word on what, exactly, Miller’s injury is it could not come at a worse time for the Sabres as they’re teetering on the edge of losing their grip on a playoff spot. While Miller could certainly stand to get a break here down the stretch, having it come this way is not reassuring in any way.
Patrick Lalime will serve as Enroth’s backup more than likely. If the Sabres needed more of a reason to get focused tonight, they’ve got it now. Fortunately for them Enroth has done well in the few starts he’s made this season going 5-2-1 with a 2.78 goals against average and a .906 save percentage.
Buckle up Buffalo fans, things just got a lot more interesting in all the wrong ways.
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 72
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (72)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)