Mar 30, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
Potentially playoff-hope ruining news out of Buffalo.
Sabres goalie Ryan Miller is out of tonight’s game with an upper body injury. Jhonas Enroth will get the call in goal tonight against the Rangers as the Sabres have a crucial game tonight. With a win, the Sabres can catch up to the Rangers for the seventh seed in the East. With a loss, it opens the door for Carolina to get to within a point of eighth should they beat Montreal tonight and the Sabres lose.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington has the story.
There is no word on the nature or severity of the injury but it’s believed to be an upper-body situation. Miller did take a slapshot from Dion Phaneuf to the collarbone area with 14:48 left in the third period of Tuesday night’s 4-3 loss at Toronto. He also took a Brian Rolston slapshot directly on the mask in the first period of Saturday’s 2-0 win over New Jersey.
The shot Miller took last night from Phaneuf caught him up high around the collarbone and stunned him for a bit late in the game. While there’s no word on what, exactly, Miller’s injury is it could not come at a worse time for the Sabres as they’re teetering on the edge of losing their grip on a playoff spot. While Miller could certainly stand to get a break here down the stretch, having it come this way is not reassuring in any way.
Patrick Lalime will serve as Enroth’s backup more than likely. If the Sabres needed more of a reason to get focused tonight, they’ve got it now. Fortunately for them Enroth has done well in the few starts he’s made this season going 5-2-1 with a 2.78 goals against average and a .906 save percentage.
Buckle up Buffalo fans, things just got a lot more interesting in all the wrong ways.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 9
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 18
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games