Mar 30, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
Potentially playoff-hope ruining news out of Buffalo.
Sabres goalie Ryan Miller is out of tonight’s game with an upper body injury. Jhonas Enroth will get the call in goal tonight against the Rangers as the Sabres have a crucial game tonight. With a win, the Sabres can catch up to the Rangers for the seventh seed in the East. With a loss, it opens the door for Carolina to get to within a point of eighth should they beat Montreal tonight and the Sabres lose.
The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington has the story.
There is no word on the nature or severity of the injury but it’s believed to be an upper-body situation. Miller did take a slapshot from Dion Phaneuf to the collarbone area with 14:48 left in the third period of Tuesday night’s 4-3 loss at Toronto. He also took a Brian Rolston slapshot directly on the mask in the first period of Saturday’s 2-0 win over New Jersey.
The shot Miller took last night from Phaneuf caught him up high around the collarbone and stunned him for a bit late in the game. While there’s no word on what, exactly, Miller’s injury is it could not come at a worse time for the Sabres as they’re teetering on the edge of losing their grip on a playoff spot. While Miller could certainly stand to get a break here down the stretch, having it come this way is not reassuring in any way.
Patrick Lalime will serve as Enroth’s backup more than likely. If the Sabres needed more of a reason to get focused tonight, they’ve got it now. Fortunately for them Enroth has done well in the few starts he’s made this season going 5-2-1 with a 2.78 goals against average and a .906 save percentage.
Buckle up Buffalo fans, things just got a lot more interesting in all the wrong ways.
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Eastern Conference Final Game 6 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 25
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)