Mar 30, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
Each week here at ProHockeyTalk, NHL on NBC’s Mike Milbury gives us his take on three hot topics of discussion around the league. We’re happy to have Mike join us and give us his unique and fiery opinions on what’s going on in the NHL.
No, I don’t think so. It’s tough being totally consistent when every hit is different. It was a reckless play that deserved to be called. It was just stupid technique and it merited a major and was properly punished, I guess. I guess they felt it wasn’t severe enough. He went in recklessly but not with any intent. That’s the way I view it.
Do you think Bertuzzi’s mid-game apology to Johnson played a part in helping him get off?
No, it shouldn’t. If I kill your wife and went in and apologized to you five minutes later, I still killed your wife.
2. Some nights the Sabres look unbeatable, others they’re getting beaten by teams they shouldn’t lose to. How do you like the Sabres chances in the playoffs?
Well… I don’t think they’ve got a ton of offensive weapons, they’ve got a couple. They rely on their goaltender an awful lot. They’ve still got a chance to make it but I certainly don’t put them in the top echelon of the Eastern Conference. As we all know anybody that makes it has a chance to advance so you can’t rule them out.
Of all the teams you’re looking at, realistically, the one that would make you happy in terms of a draw right now would be Buffalo, Tampa second because they’ve muddled along for a while now. But… Be careful what you wish for.
3. Sidney Crosby was cleared to skate on game days with the Penguins today. He’s not practicing yet, but do you see him taking the ice with the team in the playoffs?
I think they’ve got to be really careful with him. They should be really careful with him. He’s an incredibly valuable asset to the organization and to the league. I saw him practice a bit on tape, just one-on-one stuff and he looked good enough to buy a ticket to watch just practice. It was an impressive little display that he put on.
They’ve got to go through the whole rigmarole of easing him back in and being careful. I can’t play doctor, he certainly looked good enough to me during his little workout session but once contact comes along who knows. I think everyone is encouraged by his progress and hopeful but… If he’s not going to make it back it won’t be for a lack of trying.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 19
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4