Mar 30, 2011, 3:33 AM EDT
When a player suffers a nasty injury, generally the reaction from people is hushed silence and some “atta’ boys” from the bench to wish the guy well.
Such is not the case for Boston tough guy Shawn Thornton on Tuesday night against the Blackhawks. Early in the second period, Thornton got caught just above the eye by the skate blade of Chicago forward Fernando Pisani in what turned out to be quite the bloody accident. Thornton got up from the ice bleeding profusely and headed towards the Bruins bench where he’d eventually be given 40 stitches to close the wound. To get to the bench he had to skate past the Chicago bench and that’s when things got a bit dicey.
As Thornton headed off to be treated for the cut, someone (or many) from the Chicago bench started yapping to Thornton as he skated by. (Video) Thornton stopped dead in his tracks to shout back at the hecklers from the Blackhawks bench and, suffice to say, he wasn’t too pleased after the game when discussing it as the Chicago Sun-Times’ Adam Jahns found out.
“Yeah, something was said,” Thornton said. “Obviously, I can’t swear when I talk to you guys [in the media]. There was some stuff said that I am not happy about. I am going to find out who it was and I will deal with it in my own way.”
Joe Haggerty of CSN New England got a little bit more from Thornton who, even in his state tonight, found a way to keep it amusing as he tries to get to the bottom of the case.
“Those guys on their team chirp a lot. I don’t know if it is right when someone’s face is half across the other side of their face,” said Thornton. “But it is a tough game and people have to live with their actions. If you guys ever find out who it is don’t be afraid to send me a Christmas card.”
A short time after the incident, Zdeno Chara had some terse words on the ice for Patrick Kane. We can only imagine the diminutive Kane being a bit intimidated by the towering Chara having words with him. Whether that means it was Kane who was mouthing off from the bench, we don’t know.
Given the Blackhawks reputation for getting lippy with opponents on the ice, even without the likes of Adam Burish and Ben Eager who are playing elsewhere or Dave Bolland who’s out with a concussion , it’s not entirely shocking that they’d use the moment to say a few colorful things to a guy heading off. That said, it’s pretty easy to be tough from the bench and getting on the wrong side of Thornton isn’t something we’d like to do. Perhaps the Blackhawks are fortunate they only play Boston once or twice a year.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 9
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 81
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (81)