Mar 29, 2011, 12:29 AM EST
It might be the most redundant point in hockey – even more than criticizing the league’s discipline system or the seriousness of concussions – but it still must be said.
Hockey players are ridiculously tough.
CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers reports that Detroit Red Wings winger Todd Bertuzzi went out of his way to apologize to Chicago Blackhawks forward Ryan Johnson after landing his ill-fated elbow, but hopefully he was speaking into Johnson’s good ear. That’s because NHL.com’s Brian Hedger writes that Johnson needed a trainer to sew part of his ear back because of the hit.
After ruining your urge for a midnight snack, Johnson was quick to point out that it wasn’t a “Tyson-sized” chunk. Johnson reportedly said that he wasn’t really bothered by it, a claim backed up by the fact that he he returned to action during the same first period.
He also said that he didn’t get the feeling Bertuzzi intended to injure him with the hit, even though he hasn’t seen footage of the check yet. Who knows if Johnson shaking off the hit will affect Bertuzzi’s punishment – Versus blogger Steve Lepore is among those who think that the league should suspend Bertuzzi for the rest of the regular season, if not more – but it can’t hurt Big Bert’s cause.
So here are two things we can continue to say: hockey fans still hold a grudge against Todd Bertuzzi (fair nor not) and hockey players are still absurdly tough. It looks like we can’t say that Johnson holds a grudge against Bertuzzi, though.
For more on the Blackhawks-Red Wings game, check out the PHT recap. For even more, check out Joel Quenneville’s comments that this was the team’s biggest win of the season and Jonathan Toews’ claims that a hot Chicago team is talented enough to beat any team in the league.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)