Mar 29, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
If you want to extend some sort of high school truancy analogy to the St. Louis Blues’ claim that T.J. Oshie missed practice in what was an “unexcused absence,” then Oshie won’t be at school for a few days.
Andy Strickland reports that the team suspended Oshie for two games, although Lou Korac notes that it wasn’t an official suspension and he won’t be fined.
Obviously, missing practice without a clear (or at least public) reason isn’t very professional, so Oshie deserves to pay the price. That being said, sometimes it is tough to deal with the steady stream of losing – especially during a tough season in St. Louis. People tend to forget the human element involved in that process … not to mention how much of a grind an 82-game season can be.
Korac caught up with Blues general manager Doug Armstrong and head coach Davis Payne, who addressed the issue.
Armstrong: “There’s a responsibility for the players. He didn’t meet that responsibility. He’ll pay the consequences as we move forward.”
Davis Payne: “We consider it (serious). I know Osh does as well. That’s the message. … These are not the type of actions that are required as a member of the St. Louis Blues, a member of this organization.”
Neither Payne nor Armstrong would elaborate much further on the subject.
Ultimately, it’s a regrettable moment for Oshie and the Blues, but maybe it will serve as motivation for the promising young forward to break through during the 2011-12 season. At this point, the rest of this season is all about moral victories and learning lessons anyway, so maybe this situation could be a blessing in disguise.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 2
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)