Mar 29, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
If you want to extend some sort of high school truancy analogy to the St. Louis Blues’ claim that T.J. Oshie missed practice in what was an “unexcused absence,” then Oshie won’t be at school for a few days.
Andy Strickland reports that the team suspended Oshie for two games, although Lou Korac notes that it wasn’t an official suspension and he won’t be fined.
Obviously, missing practice without a clear (or at least public) reason isn’t very professional, so Oshie deserves to pay the price. That being said, sometimes it is tough to deal with the steady stream of losing – especially during a tough season in St. Louis. People tend to forget the human element involved in that process … not to mention how much of a grind an 82-game season can be.
Korac caught up with Blues general manager Doug Armstrong and head coach Davis Payne, who addressed the issue.
Armstrong: “There’s a responsibility for the players. He didn’t meet that responsibility. He’ll pay the consequences as we move forward.”
Davis Payne: “We consider it (serious). I know Osh does as well. That’s the message. … These are not the type of actions that are required as a member of the St. Louis Blues, a member of this organization.”
Neither Payne nor Armstrong would elaborate much further on the subject.
Ultimately, it’s a regrettable moment for Oshie and the Blues, but maybe it will serve as motivation for the promising young forward to break through during the 2011-12 season. At this point, the rest of this season is all about moral victories and learning lessons anyway, so maybe this situation could be a blessing in disguise.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 0
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 20
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22