Mar 29, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
LeBrun reports that there won’t be a meeting with the league and “no further discipline is planned” for Bertuzzi.
This might come as a surprise for some, especially those who wanted a substantial suspension such as Steve Lepore from Versus. The NHL discipline system’s many critics will wonder if Matt Cooke‘s hefty suspension was just an aberration, especially since Bertuzzi’s career has a serious elephant in the room.
On the other hand, there may be just as many people who agree with LeBrun’s assessment that the hit was more “clumsy/stupid” than vicious.
Personally, I think that a one-game suspension might have been appropriate considering the way Bertuzzi delivered the blow (he appeared to leave his feet and turned his back to Johnson). To his credit, Bertuzzi has maintained a pretty clean record since the awful Steve Moore incident, so he might be a “repeat offender” but some may wonder if the statute of limitations ran out on that to some extent.
It wasn’t an egregious hit, but maybe a light additional punishment would have been appropriate, even if Johnson wasn’t injured by the check.
Anyway, how do you feel about the lack of an additional punishment? He did receive a five-minute major (which could have hurt his team in that game) and a game misconduct (almost giving him a one-game suspension, in a way), so it’s not like he didn’t receive discipline at all. Let us know how you feel about it in the comments.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)