Mar 29, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT
It probably shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, but Japanese officials announced that they will pull all of their teams from the upcoming 2011 IIHF world championships tournament (and any related qualifying events). They did so as a result of the disastrous earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan earlier this month.
The International Ice Hockey Federation notes that many Japanese players and officials had friends, family members and/or colleagues who were affected by the natural disaster.
The Japanese men’s team was slated to play a qualifier in Hungary, while the under-18 team play was set to play in Latvia and the women’s team planned to play in qualifying games in Germany.
The qualifying rounds for the men’s championship games take place from April 17-23, while the championship tournament is scheduled to begin on April 29th.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54