Mar 29, 2011, 1:08 AM EDT
While Monday’s two contests were all about the immediate future, it was also an evening for old souls. On the heels of Nicklas Lidstrom hitting the 60-point mark a month before he will turn 41 years old, Teemu Selanne scored three goals and added two assists to help the Anaheim Ducks earn a come-from-behind win against the Colorado Avalanche.
With that, the Ducks are back in front of the Chicago Blackhawks for seventh place in the West in a Finnish Flash.
Selanne factored into all five Ducks goals, pushing his 2010-11 season point total to 75 in 67 games played. Anaheim started the game in a wobbly fashion as the Avalanche stormed to an early 2-0 lead, but Selanne’s penalty shot goal turned the game around a minute into the second period.
He also notched his 700th career assist, by the way.
As if his presence wasn’t already profound enough as he became the oldest NHL player to record a hat trick since 1980, both of his helpers were primary assists.
With this win, the Ducks regained their slim seventh-place lead over the Blackhawks. Anaheim has 91 points in 76 games played with 43 wins while Chicago has 90 points in 75 games played with 41 wins. We’ll keep you informed as the desperate chase for the West’s final spots continues.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)