Mar 29, 2011, 1:08 AM EDT
While Monday’s two contests were all about the immediate future, it was also an evening for old souls. On the heels of Nicklas Lidstrom hitting the 60-point mark a month before he will turn 41 years old, Teemu Selanne scored three goals and added two assists to help the Anaheim Ducks earn a come-from-behind win against the Colorado Avalanche.
With that, the Ducks are back in front of the Chicago Blackhawks for seventh place in the West in a Finnish Flash.
Selanne factored into all five Ducks goals, pushing his 2010-11 season point total to 75 in 67 games played. Anaheim started the game in a wobbly fashion as the Avalanche stormed to an early 2-0 lead, but Selanne’s penalty shot goal turned the game around a minute into the second period.
He also notched his 700th career assist, by the way.
As if his presence wasn’t already profound enough as he became the oldest NHL player to record a hat trick since 1980, both of his helpers were primary assists.
With this win, the Ducks regained their slim seventh-place lead over the Blackhawks. Anaheim has 91 points in 76 games played with 43 wins while Chicago has 90 points in 75 games played with 41 wins. We’ll keep you informed as the desperate chase for the West’s final spots continues.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)