Mar 28, 2011, 1:35 AM EDT
A milestone win for the Canucks as for the first time in team history they won 50 games. Chris Higgins had two goals and an assist to lead the way while Cory Schneider stopped 39 shots to ensure victory. Henrik Sedin and Christian Ehrhoff also added goals for Vancouver as they continue their dominance out west. R.J. Umberger had the Jackets’ only goal. The win gives Vancouver 109 points on the season and extends their lead over Detroit for the top spot to 12 points. One more Canucks win will lock up the top spot in the West and home ice throughout the playoffs.
Pittsburgh 2 – Florida 1 (F/SO)
Pittsburgh won their fourth straight game, all of which have come via the shootout – a new and unique record all of their own. Ben Lovejoy scored in regulation for the Pens while James Neal and Alex Kovalev scored in the shootout to help the Pens cut Philly’s advantage in the Atlantic Division to just four points. Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 37 shots in the win, meanwhile Tomas Vokoun left the game with just seconds left in the third with a back injury. He’s expected back this week.
Atlanta 5 – Ottawa 4 (F/SO)
It’s not much of a pulse, but the Thrashers still have one for the playoffs after taking out Craig Anderson in the shootout. Andrew Ladd netted the winner in the shootout while four different Thrashers scored in regulation. Atlanta managed to blow a 4-2 lead in the third to allow the Sens back in the game. Chris Mason earned the win for Atlanta in goal. Marek Svatos scored twice for Ottawa. Atlanta is nine points out of the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference with seven games left to play.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)