Mar 28, 2011, 8:38 PM EDT
A player getting ejected from a game for throwing an elbow is a borderline news story in today’s NHL, but when that player is notorious Detroit Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi, the buzz increases substantially.
Will Bertuzzi receive a fine or a suspension on top of the in-game punishment? That’s anyone’s guess. There are a few factors working for and against the infamous once-power forward:
Why he might get suspended:
- His name is Todd Bertuzzi.
- It was an elbow to the head and Bertuzzi turned his back to Johnson, which might indicate that there was some frustration involved.
- Also, his name is Todd Bertuzzi.
Why he might not get suspended:
- It wasn’t an overly egregious hit, from an admittedly subjective perspective.
- Johnson left the game briefly, but returned (at least during the first period), so a lack of serious injury – at the moment – might play in Bertuzzi’s favor.
- Bertuzzi was booted from the game, so some might feel he already had his moment in “time out.”
Overall, it would be surprising if Bertuzzi received more than a game and it’s possible he will leave with a fine or less. But how do you feel he should be treated? Let us know in the comments.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 0
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 15
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)