Mar 28, 2011, 8:38 PM EDT
A player getting ejected from a game for throwing an elbow is a borderline news story in today’s NHL, but when that player is notorious Detroit Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi, the buzz increases substantially.
Will Bertuzzi receive a fine or a suspension on top of the in-game punishment? That’s anyone’s guess. There are a few factors working for and against the infamous once-power forward:
Why he might get suspended:
- His name is Todd Bertuzzi.
- It was an elbow to the head and Bertuzzi turned his back to Johnson, which might indicate that there was some frustration involved.
- Also, his name is Todd Bertuzzi.
Why he might not get suspended:
- It wasn’t an overly egregious hit, from an admittedly subjective perspective.
- Johnson left the game briefly, but returned (at least during the first period), so a lack of serious injury – at the moment – might play in Bertuzzi’s favor.
- Bertuzzi was booted from the game, so some might feel he already had his moment in “time out.”
Overall, it would be surprising if Bertuzzi received more than a game and it’s possible he will leave with a fine or less. But how do you feel he should be treated? Let us know in the comments.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)