Mar 28, 2011, 8:38 PM EST
A player getting ejected from a game for throwing an elbow is a borderline news story in today’s NHL, but when that player is notorious Detroit Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi, the buzz increases substantially.
Will Bertuzzi receive a fine or a suspension on top of the in-game punishment? That’s anyone’s guess. There are a few factors working for and against the infamous once-power forward:
Why he might get suspended:
- His name is Todd Bertuzzi.
- It was an elbow to the head and Bertuzzi turned his back to Johnson, which might indicate that there was some frustration involved.
- Also, his name is Todd Bertuzzi.
Why he might not get suspended:
- It wasn’t an overly egregious hit, from an admittedly subjective perspective.
- Johnson left the game briefly, but returned (at least during the first period), so a lack of serious injury – at the moment – might play in Bertuzzi’s favor.
- Bertuzzi was booted from the game, so some might feel he already had his moment in “time out.”
Overall, it would be surprising if Bertuzzi received more than a game and it’s possible he will leave with a fine or less. But how do you feel he should be treated? Let us know in the comments.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)