Mar 28, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are dealing with a tough situation with stud checking center Manny Malhotra. Malhotra is out for the remainder of the season and the playoffs with an eye injury he suffered after taking a puck in the face.
Malhotra was bloodied and shaken up badly on the play and the injury is bad enough that he needs surgery.
As for how serious the injury is, that’s something we weren’t fully aware of until today when his brother-in-law, Phoenix Suns star Steve Nash, tweeted his thoughts to his followers hoping Malhotra can pull through.
It’s terrible to see that Malhotra is this bad off after such a scary play. While we’re hoping that Malhotra can pull through this and return to the ice next season or at all in the future, our main hope is that scary incidents like these will spur more players towards sporting a visor to protect themselves.
We know that many players, fighters in particular for obvious reasons, won’t wear visors, but seeing injuries like this occur when they seem easily preventable makes it seem like a no-brainer to choose to don a visor. We don’t want Manny Malhotra to become a martyr for this cause, but for now he’s the poster child for wanting to wear a visor. After all, for how inconvenient the visor might seem on the ice to those players opposed to them, would they rather be inconvenienced or potentially disabled in a freak occurrence? The choice seems obvious to us.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)