Mar 28, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are dealing with a tough situation with stud checking center Manny Malhotra. Malhotra is out for the remainder of the season and the playoffs with an eye injury he suffered after taking a puck in the face.
Malhotra was bloodied and shaken up badly on the play and the injury is bad enough that he needs surgery.
As for how serious the injury is, that’s something we weren’t fully aware of until today when his brother-in-law, Phoenix Suns star Steve Nash, tweeted his thoughts to his followers hoping Malhotra can pull through.
It’s terrible to see that Malhotra is this bad off after such a scary play. While we’re hoping that Malhotra can pull through this and return to the ice next season or at all in the future, our main hope is that scary incidents like these will spur more players towards sporting a visor to protect themselves.
We know that many players, fighters in particular for obvious reasons, won’t wear visors, but seeing injuries like this occur when they seem easily preventable makes it seem like a no-brainer to choose to don a visor. We don’t want Manny Malhotra to become a martyr for this cause, but for now he’s the poster child for wanting to wear a visor. After all, for how inconvenient the visor might seem on the ice to those players opposed to them, would they rather be inconvenienced or potentially disabled in a freak occurrence? The choice seems obvious to us.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)