Mar 28, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are dealing with a tough situation with stud checking center Manny Malhotra. Malhotra is out for the remainder of the season and the playoffs with an eye injury he suffered after taking a puck in the face.
Malhotra was bloodied and shaken up badly on the play and the injury is bad enough that he needs surgery.
As for how serious the injury is, that’s something we weren’t fully aware of until today when his brother-in-law, Phoenix Suns star Steve Nash, tweeted his thoughts to his followers hoping Malhotra can pull through.
It’s terrible to see that Malhotra is this bad off after such a scary play. While we’re hoping that Malhotra can pull through this and return to the ice next season or at all in the future, our main hope is that scary incidents like these will spur more players towards sporting a visor to protect themselves.
We know that many players, fighters in particular for obvious reasons, won’t wear visors, but seeing injuries like this occur when they seem easily preventable makes it seem like a no-brainer to choose to don a visor. We don’t want Manny Malhotra to become a martyr for this cause, but for now he’s the poster child for wanting to wear a visor. After all, for how inconvenient the visor might seem on the ice to those players opposed to them, would they rather be inconvenienced or potentially disabled in a freak occurrence? The choice seems obvious to us.
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 0
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)