Mar 28, 2011, 5:45 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks are dealing with a tough situation with stud checking center Manny Malhotra. Malhotra is out for the remainder of the season and the playoffs with an eye injury he suffered after taking a puck in the face.
Malhotra was bloodied and shaken up badly on the play and the injury is bad enough that he needs surgery.
As for how serious the injury is, that’s something we weren’t fully aware of until today when his brother-in-law, Phoenix Suns star Steve Nash, tweeted his thoughts to his followers hoping Malhotra can pull through.
It’s terrible to see that Malhotra is this bad off after such a scary play. While we’re hoping that Malhotra can pull through this and return to the ice next season or at all in the future, our main hope is that scary incidents like these will spur more players towards sporting a visor to protect themselves.
We know that many players, fighters in particular for obvious reasons, won’t wear visors, but seeing injuries like this occur when they seem easily preventable makes it seem like a no-brainer to choose to don a visor. We don’t want Manny Malhotra to become a martyr for this cause, but for now he’s the poster child for wanting to wear a visor. After all, for how inconvenient the visor might seem on the ice to those players opposed to them, would they rather be inconvenienced or potentially disabled in a freak occurrence? The choice seems obvious to us.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (143)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)