Caps injury news: Alex Ovechkin returns to practice; Mike Green skates but isn’t sure when he’ll be back
Mar 28, 2011, 2:12 PM EDT
Capitals captain Alexander Ovechkin has missed the last three games with an undisclosed injury and while we don’t know what it is that’s eating the Great Eight, it appears that he’ll be getting back to action sooner than later.
Today, Ovechkin practiced with the team for the first time since going down with his secret ailment. Ovechkin tells Katie Carrera of The Washington Post that he thinks he’s ready to go.
Ovechkin wasn’t sure if he would be back in the lineup for Tuesday’s game against Carolina, though.
“I don’t know. It’s not my decision,” Ovechkin said. “How I said, I’m ready to go, but I don’t know how it’s going to work right now with tomorrow.”
That’s good news on that front because the Capitals without Ovechkin in the lineup to steady their offense have been a bit erratic getting shutout by the Senators and scoring just twice in a 2-0 shutout against Montreal.
As for defenseman Mike Green who’s been out with a concussion suffered against the Rangers, he skated today in full pads for about 25 minutes. While that’s a very encouraging sign, he’s unsure about when he’ll be back to action but at least he’s feeling hopeful that it’ll be soon.
The two-time Norris Trophy finalist said he is feeling better, but acknowledged that he was still experiencing symptoms.
“Here and there, but nothing that’s progressing to get worse — it’s always getting better,” Green said. “We’ve done a great job here with the trainers and the staff of taking the right procedures for me to get better. The unfortunate part is that it does take time. It’s nice to get a good skate and hopefully now I can get back on the ice and back playing with the team.”
The Caps have been playing great in Green’s absence from the lineup but there’s no doubt that they could use his offensive touch from the blue line. Dennis Wideman‘s addition has been welcomed and has given them a bit of a lift. Obviously with Ovechkin being close to back in the lineup that’s huge, but getting Green back after he has been out since February 25 to help steady their attack and improve their defense cannot be understated.
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 4
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24