Mar 28, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT
As a season goes along, nagging injuries can be some of the most annoying to deal with. They’re bad enough to keep a player out of the lineup for a couple games at a time, but not bad enough so they put a player on the shelf for a while. The Red Wings have had a few of these to deal with of late and tonight they get one of their big scorers back.
Johan Franzen will be back in the Detroit lineup tonight after declaring himself healthy enough to go. Meanwhile, Todd Bertuzzi will be back in there as well after he returned on Saturday night against Toronto. Bertuzzi scored an empty net goal in the Wings win over the Leafs.
One guy that won’t be back yet is Pavel Datsyuk as he’s still day-to-day with a lower body injury. Tonight will be his fifth straight game out of the lineup and don’t expect Detroit to try and hurry him back as having him healthy for the playoffs is far more important.
Also, Joey MacDonald will start tonight with Jimmy Howard out of it after being hurt against Toronto. Former first round pick Thomas McCollum will be backing up MacDonald tonight after being recalled from the AHL. Luckily for Detroit, the news on Howard isn’t as bad as it was first feared. Howard did skate in practice this morning but did not take any shots. The Wings officially say his injury is a sprained shoulder and he’s out day-to-day.
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 6
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 29
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 43
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 27
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41