Mar 28, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT
As a season goes along, nagging injuries can be some of the most annoying to deal with. They’re bad enough to keep a player out of the lineup for a couple games at a time, but not bad enough so they put a player on the shelf for a while. The Red Wings have had a few of these to deal with of late and tonight they get one of their big scorers back.
Johan Franzen will be back in the Detroit lineup tonight after declaring himself healthy enough to go. Meanwhile, Todd Bertuzzi will be back in there as well after he returned on Saturday night against Toronto. Bertuzzi scored an empty net goal in the Wings win over the Leafs.
One guy that won’t be back yet is Pavel Datsyuk as he’s still day-to-day with a lower body injury. Tonight will be his fifth straight game out of the lineup and don’t expect Detroit to try and hurry him back as having him healthy for the playoffs is far more important.
Also, Joey MacDonald will start tonight with Jimmy Howard out of it after being hurt against Toronto. Former first round pick Thomas McCollum will be backing up MacDonald tonight after being recalled from the AHL. Luckily for Detroit, the news on Howard isn’t as bad as it was first feared. Howard did skate in practice this morning but did not take any shots. The Wings officially say his injury is a sprained shoulder and he’s out day-to-day.
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 4
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 19
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights