Mar 28, 2011, 9:27 PM EDT
You never know with hockey players, but it would be surprising if Anze Kopitar recovers from his broken ankle within the best-case-scenario window of six weeks. It probably isn’t a big shock, but for Los Angeles Kings hoping for the best, we have bad news: Kopitar will need surgery on that ankle.
Kopitar underwent an MRI exam today, with the results showing that he will need corrective surgery for that injury. He’ll be out indefinitely, according to the Associated Press.
PHT provided reactions to the injury, as I discussed the fact that the Kings must find a way without Kopitar while Joe broke down how head coach Terry Murray might juggle his lines to try to recover from the loss.
Even if Kopitar comes back in six weeks, it’s far from a guarantee that the Kings will make it that far into the playoffs. They would likely need to make it to the Western Conference finals for him to play in another game before the 2010-11 season, which is possible but maybe not very plausible in the hyper-competitive West.
Then again, maybe the Kings will take a “nothing to lose” attitude to the playoffs as they cope without their best forward. It’ll be interesting to watch, even if the hockey might not always be pretty.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)