Mar 28, 2011, 9:27 PM EDT
You never know with hockey players, but it would be surprising if Anze Kopitar recovers from his broken ankle within the best-case-scenario window of six weeks. It probably isn’t a big shock, but for Los Angeles Kings hoping for the best, we have bad news: Kopitar will need surgery on that ankle.
Kopitar underwent an MRI exam today, with the results showing that he will need corrective surgery for that injury. He’ll be out indefinitely, according to the Associated Press.
PHT provided reactions to the injury, as I discussed the fact that the Kings must find a way without Kopitar while Joe broke down how head coach Terry Murray might juggle his lines to try to recover from the loss.
Even if Kopitar comes back in six weeks, it’s far from a guarantee that the Kings will make it that far into the playoffs. They would likely need to make it to the Western Conference finals for him to play in another game before the 2010-11 season, which is possible but maybe not very plausible in the hyper-competitive West.
Then again, maybe the Kings will take a “nothing to lose” attitude to the playoffs as they cope without their best forward. It’ll be interesting to watch, even if the hockey might not always be pretty.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)