Mar 28, 2011, 9:27 PM EST
You never know with hockey players, but it would be surprising if Anze Kopitar recovers from his broken ankle within the best-case-scenario window of six weeks. It probably isn’t a big shock, but for Los Angeles Kings hoping for the best, we have bad news: Kopitar will need surgery on that ankle.
Kopitar underwent an MRI exam today, with the results showing that he will need corrective surgery for that injury. He’ll be out indefinitely, according to the Associated Press.
PHT provided reactions to the injury, as I discussed the fact that the Kings must find a way without Kopitar while Joe broke down how head coach Terry Murray might juggle his lines to try to recover from the loss.
Even if Kopitar comes back in six weeks, it’s far from a guarantee that the Kings will make it that far into the playoffs. They would likely need to make it to the Western Conference finals for him to play in another game before the 2010-11 season, which is possible but maybe not very plausible in the hyper-competitive West.
Then again, maybe the Kings will take a “nothing to lose” attitude to the playoffs as they cope without their best forward. It’ll be interesting to watch, even if the hockey might not always be pretty.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)