Mar 27, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
More and more, it looks like Marc Savard might be wise to consider retiring from the NHL.
No doubt about it, seeing Savard retire in the middle of his prime as one of the league’s most gifted passers would be a sad thing to witness. In many ways, Savard would become this decade’s Pat LaFontaine – a great offensive player whose career was cut short by concussions. Yet as sad as it would be to never see him play again, you also have to consider the human being involved. Let’s face it, though, Savard didn’t look like the same player this season, anyway.
Unfortunately, no news seems to be good news for the concussion-addled center, as each update seemingly drops another layer of negativity on the situation. The latest update comes from ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who reports that a source told him Savard is “having real memory problems and is worried about it.”
Memory loss is one of the many disturbing symptoms of concussions, so this is something Savard must take seriously.
Considering the problems Savard has been facing, it makes Mark Recchi‘s comments about Max Pacioretty that much more regrettable. Maybe Pacioretty isn’t dealing with the same symptoms as Savard or Patrice Bergeron, but concussions range in severity and effects.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 40
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)