Mar 27, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
More and more, it looks like Marc Savard might be wise to consider retiring from the NHL.
No doubt about it, seeing Savard retire in the middle of his prime as one of the league’s most gifted passers would be a sad thing to witness. In many ways, Savard would become this decade’s Pat LaFontaine – a great offensive player whose career was cut short by concussions. Yet as sad as it would be to never see him play again, you also have to consider the human being involved. Let’s face it, though, Savard didn’t look like the same player this season, anyway.
Unfortunately, no news seems to be good news for the concussion-addled center, as each update seemingly drops another layer of negativity on the situation. The latest update comes from ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who reports that a source told him Savard is “having real memory problems and is worried about it.”
Memory loss is one of the many disturbing symptoms of concussions, so this is something Savard must take seriously.
Considering the problems Savard has been facing, it makes Mark Recchi‘s comments about Max Pacioretty that much more regrettable. Maybe Pacioretty isn’t dealing with the same symptoms as Savard or Patrice Bergeron, but concussions range in severity and effects.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)