Mar 27, 2011, 12:00 AM EDT
When Sidney Crosby went down with a concussion, Steve Stamkos rose to the top of the goal scoring ladder where he’s stayed for most of the season. That is until tonight when Corey Perry willed the Ducks to victory with a pair of third period goals giving him 44 goals on the season and taking the NHL goal scoring lead.
Perry’s two-goal game was supported with assists from Ryan Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan on both goals while Ray Emery stopped 27 shots to get Anaheim into seventh place in the West while forcing Chicago into eighth. Marian Hossa was the lone goal scorer for Chicago as they couldn’t find a way to crack through on Emery who gave Jonas Hiller a break tonight as he slowly gets back into game shape from being sat down with vertigo.
While Getzlaf is the captain of the Ducks, it’s Perry that’s forcing people to take notice of him as a potential Hart Trophy candidate with his ability to carry the team both in Getzlaf’s absence from injury earlier this year but for also picking up his play with the team back to full health. Over the last nine games, Perry has 11 goals and four assists. The Ducks are 7-2-0 in those games.
All right Ducks fans, feel free to start the “MVP” chants, they’re more than warranted right now. If Perry gets the Ducks into the playoffs, chances are Vancouver, Detroit, and whoever wins the Pacific won’t want any part of them in the first round. Anaheim is a very dangerous team.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39