Mar 27, 2011, 10:14 PM EDT
Vancouver’s ability to withstand crucial injuries will be tested once again, and this time it’s their defense that suffers another blow. Dan Hamhuis was knocked out of today’s game against Columbus with a concussion after hitting his head on the ice after a huge hit involving Rick Nash and his defensive partner Kevin Bieksa.
Hamhuis was immediately supervised under the league’s new concussion protocol and did not return to the game. The concussion is the second one that Hamhuis has suffered this season. He missed five games in February after taking a big, and questionable, hit from Anaheim’s Ryan Getzlaf. Suffering another head injury nearly two months later will certainly ensure that Hamhuis’ recovery time is extended.
Losing Hamhuis is a big setback for the Canucks blue line this late in the year when they were finally starting to get everyone back into action. Having been without the likes of Bieksa, Keith Ballard, and Sami Salo for significant chunks of this season and still going without Alexander Edler and Andrew Alberts now. Coming back into focus now will be the Canucks depth and with Aaron Rome and Chris Tanev set to likely see more time, players they weren’t banking on being big on minutes will now likely be helping the Canucks make a run at the Stanley Cup.
Championship teams persist through adversity and the Canucks have certainly had plenty of that this year including Manny Malhotra‘s season-ending eye injury. Can they overcome this shot to their defense? If the regular season is a proper measuring stick, they should be able to do just fine.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 3
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 11
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 33
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 72
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (72)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control