Mar 26, 2011, 10:39 PM EDT
Howard suffered the injury when Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul tumbled over him while scoring a goal that tied the game at 2-2 in the third. Howard went down and headed to the locker room while Joey MacDonald replaced him and held down the fort while Jiri Hudler and Todd Bertuzzi netted goals to give Detroit the win.
Detroit is in an awkward position if Howard is out for any amount of time. They had to turn to MacDonald in relief because Chris Osgood is still out with a groin injury. MacDonald has had some NHL experience with the Red Wings this year and in the past as well as with Toronto and the Islanders. Initial reports from those in Detroit are saying that the injury may not be as bad as initially thought. How that translates to how long he may be out remains to be seen.
Update: Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily News says that Howard’s status is day-to-day (aren’t we all?) and that Jordan Pearce will be called up from the AHL to back up MacDonald.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)