Mar 26, 2011, 10:39 PM EDT
Howard suffered the injury when Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul tumbled over him while scoring a goal that tied the game at 2-2 in the third. Howard went down and headed to the locker room while Joey MacDonald replaced him and held down the fort while Jiri Hudler and Todd Bertuzzi netted goals to give Detroit the win.
Detroit is in an awkward position if Howard is out for any amount of time. They had to turn to MacDonald in relief because Chris Osgood is still out with a groin injury. MacDonald has had some NHL experience with the Red Wings this year and in the past as well as with Toronto and the Islanders. Initial reports from those in Detroit are saying that the injury may not be as bad as initially thought. How that translates to how long he may be out remains to be seen.
Update: Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily News says that Howard’s status is day-to-day (aren’t we all?) and that Jordan Pearce will be called up from the AHL to back up MacDonald.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)