Mar 26, 2011, 10:39 PM EDT
Howard suffered the injury when Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul tumbled over him while scoring a goal that tied the game at 2-2 in the third. Howard went down and headed to the locker room while Joey MacDonald replaced him and held down the fort while Jiri Hudler and Todd Bertuzzi netted goals to give Detroit the win.
Detroit is in an awkward position if Howard is out for any amount of time. They had to turn to MacDonald in relief because Chris Osgood is still out with a groin injury. MacDonald has had some NHL experience with the Red Wings this year and in the past as well as with Toronto and the Islanders. Initial reports from those in Detroit are saying that the injury may not be as bad as initially thought. How that translates to how long he may be out remains to be seen.
Update: Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily News says that Howard’s status is day-to-day (aren’t we all?) and that Jordan Pearce will be called up from the AHL to back up MacDonald.
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 32
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3