Mar 26, 2011, 10:39 PM EDT
Howard suffered the injury when Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul tumbled over him while scoring a goal that tied the game at 2-2 in the third. Howard went down and headed to the locker room while Joey MacDonald replaced him and held down the fort while Jiri Hudler and Todd Bertuzzi netted goals to give Detroit the win.
Detroit is in an awkward position if Howard is out for any amount of time. They had to turn to MacDonald in relief because Chris Osgood is still out with a groin injury. MacDonald has had some NHL experience with the Red Wings this year and in the past as well as with Toronto and the Islanders. Initial reports from those in Detroit are saying that the injury may not be as bad as initially thought. How that translates to how long he may be out remains to be seen.
Update: Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily News says that Howard’s status is day-to-day (aren’t we all?) and that Jordan Pearce will be called up from the AHL to back up MacDonald.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)