Mar 26, 2011, 8:25 PM EDT
While the Sabres continue to fight on to make the Eastern Conference playoffs, they’ll have to do so without one of their key defenseman the rest of the regular season.
Jordan Leopold suffered what turns out to be a broken hand in last night’s 4-2 win over Florida. Sabres GM Darcy Regier said before tonight’s game that Leopold will be seeing a hand specialist to see how long he could be out, but for now they’re anticipating that Leopold will miss the rest of the regular season at the least.
With 13 goals and 22 assists this year, Leopold has quietly been the Sabres top scoring producing defenseman. Tyler Myers has had a rough time in his sophomore season but still has 35 points of his own, but Leopold has been getting the goals to find the net and giving Buffalo a steadying, veteran presence along the blue line.
If they’re without him for any longer through the playoffs, the focus will shift to Myers to be more of a leader offensively for the Sabres. Playing in that spotlight this year has seen Myers go through struggles at times. He hasn’t been bad, he’s just looked more like a 21 year-old defenseman instead of the 2010 Calder Trophy winner. If Buffalo makes the playoffs, the prospects for Leopold to return and again lead the team are good and they’ll need him as they’ll be facing off with one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 21
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)