Mar 26, 2011, 8:25 PM EDT
While the Sabres continue to fight on to make the Eastern Conference playoffs, they’ll have to do so without one of their key defenseman the rest of the regular season.
Jordan Leopold suffered what turns out to be a broken hand in last night’s 4-2 win over Florida. Sabres GM Darcy Regier said before tonight’s game that Leopold will be seeing a hand specialist to see how long he could be out, but for now they’re anticipating that Leopold will miss the rest of the regular season at the least.
With 13 goals and 22 assists this year, Leopold has quietly been the Sabres top scoring producing defenseman. Tyler Myers has had a rough time in his sophomore season but still has 35 points of his own, but Leopold has been getting the goals to find the net and giving Buffalo a steadying, veteran presence along the blue line.
If they’re without him for any longer through the playoffs, the focus will shift to Myers to be more of a leader offensively for the Sabres. Playing in that spotlight this year has seen Myers go through struggles at times. He hasn’t been bad, he’s just looked more like a 21 year-old defenseman instead of the 2010 Calder Trophy winner. If Buffalo makes the playoffs, the prospects for Leopold to return and again lead the team are good and they’ll need him as they’ll be facing off with one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)