Mar 26, 2011, 8:25 PM EDT
While the Sabres continue to fight on to make the Eastern Conference playoffs, they’ll have to do so without one of their key defenseman the rest of the regular season.
Jordan Leopold suffered what turns out to be a broken hand in last night’s 4-2 win over Florida. Sabres GM Darcy Regier said before tonight’s game that Leopold will be seeing a hand specialist to see how long he could be out, but for now they’re anticipating that Leopold will miss the rest of the regular season at the least.
With 13 goals and 22 assists this year, Leopold has quietly been the Sabres top scoring producing defenseman. Tyler Myers has had a rough time in his sophomore season but still has 35 points of his own, but Leopold has been getting the goals to find the net and giving Buffalo a steadying, veteran presence along the blue line.
If they’re without him for any longer through the playoffs, the focus will shift to Myers to be more of a leader offensively for the Sabres. Playing in that spotlight this year has seen Myers go through struggles at times. He hasn’t been bad, he’s just looked more like a 21 year-old defenseman instead of the 2010 Calder Trophy winner. If Buffalo makes the playoffs, the prospects for Leopold to return and again lead the team are good and they’ll need him as they’ll be facing off with one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)