Mar 26, 2011, 8:25 PM EDT
While the Sabres continue to fight on to make the Eastern Conference playoffs, they’ll have to do so without one of their key defenseman the rest of the regular season.
Jordan Leopold suffered what turns out to be a broken hand in last night’s 4-2 win over Florida. Sabres GM Darcy Regier said before tonight’s game that Leopold will be seeing a hand specialist to see how long he could be out, but for now they’re anticipating that Leopold will miss the rest of the regular season at the least.
With 13 goals and 22 assists this year, Leopold has quietly been the Sabres top scoring producing defenseman. Tyler Myers has had a rough time in his sophomore season but still has 35 points of his own, but Leopold has been getting the goals to find the net and giving Buffalo a steadying, veteran presence along the blue line.
If they’re without him for any longer through the playoffs, the focus will shift to Myers to be more of a leader offensively for the Sabres. Playing in that spotlight this year has seen Myers go through struggles at times. He hasn’t been bad, he’s just looked more like a 21 year-old defenseman instead of the 2010 Calder Trophy winner. If Buffalo makes the playoffs, the prospects for Leopold to return and again lead the team are good and they’ll need him as they’ll be facing off with one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 83
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 67
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)