Mar 25, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT
Looking at Mark Recchi‘s statements about the Montreal Canadiens “embellishing” Max Pacioretty’s injuries following the Zdeno Chara hit, it’s easy to paint him as a loon. In some ways, that’s still a pretty valid assessment.
Yet there was also the undercurrent of thought that there was a method to the long-time NHL veteran’s madness. Recchi – along with another outspoken Boston Bruins forward, Milan Lucic – more or less confirmed those thoughts, as they told Joe Haggerty that they made those comments to “take some of the attention and heat away from” teammate Chara.
Is it an example of Recchi being a savvy veteran or is he just trying to repair a reputation slightly marred by what were some ridiculous statements? For Recchi to rest his argument on the notion that “Patrice Bergeron couldn’t open his blinds, yet Pacioretty’s able to go to the movies … ” shows an almost juvenile ignorance of the complexity of concussion problems, so hopefully he was just trying to create a diversion.
The comments still make you wonder if he’s taken too many hits to the head during his long NHL career, though.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)