Mar 25, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT
Looking at Mark Recchi‘s statements about the Montreal Canadiens “embellishing” Max Pacioretty’s injuries following the Zdeno Chara hit, it’s easy to paint him as a loon. In some ways, that’s still a pretty valid assessment.
Yet there was also the undercurrent of thought that there was a method to the long-time NHL veteran’s madness. Recchi – along with another outspoken Boston Bruins forward, Milan Lucic – more or less confirmed those thoughts, as they told Joe Haggerty that they made those comments to “take some of the attention and heat away from” teammate Chara.
Is it an example of Recchi being a savvy veteran or is he just trying to repair a reputation slightly marred by what were some ridiculous statements? For Recchi to rest his argument on the notion that “Patrice Bergeron couldn’t open his blinds, yet Pacioretty’s able to go to the movies … ” shows an almost juvenile ignorance of the complexity of concussion problems, so hopefully he was just trying to create a diversion.
The comments still make you wonder if he’s taken too many hits to the head during his long NHL career, though.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)