Mar 25, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT
Looking at Mark Recchi‘s statements about the Montreal Canadiens “embellishing” Max Pacioretty’s injuries following the Zdeno Chara hit, it’s easy to paint him as a loon. In some ways, that’s still a pretty valid assessment.
Yet there was also the undercurrent of thought that there was a method to the long-time NHL veteran’s madness. Recchi – along with another outspoken Boston Bruins forward, Milan Lucic – more or less confirmed those thoughts, as they told Joe Haggerty that they made those comments to “take some of the attention and heat away from” teammate Chara.
Is it an example of Recchi being a savvy veteran or is he just trying to repair a reputation slightly marred by what were some ridiculous statements? For Recchi to rest his argument on the notion that “Patrice Bergeron couldn’t open his blinds, yet Pacioretty’s able to go to the movies … ” shows an almost juvenile ignorance of the complexity of concussion problems, so hopefully he was just trying to create a diversion.
The comments still make you wonder if he’s taken too many hits to the head during his long NHL career, though.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)