Mar 25, 2011, 12:36 PM EDT
Looking at Mark Recchi‘s statements about the Montreal Canadiens “embellishing” Max Pacioretty’s injuries following the Zdeno Chara hit, it’s easy to paint him as a loon. In some ways, that’s still a pretty valid assessment.
Yet there was also the undercurrent of thought that there was a method to the long-time NHL veteran’s madness. Recchi – along with another outspoken Boston Bruins forward, Milan Lucic – more or less confirmed those thoughts, as they told Joe Haggerty that they made those comments to “take some of the attention and heat away from” teammate Chara.
Is it an example of Recchi being a savvy veteran or is he just trying to repair a reputation slightly marred by what were some ridiculous statements? For Recchi to rest his argument on the notion that “Patrice Bergeron couldn’t open his blinds, yet Pacioretty’s able to go to the movies … ” shows an almost juvenile ignorance of the complexity of concussion problems, so hopefully he was just trying to create a diversion.
The comments still make you wonder if he’s taken too many hits to the head during his long NHL career, though.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 3
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)