Mar 24, 2011, 1:20 AM EDT
For a recap of the Canucks’ convincing (but close) win against the Detroit Red Wings, click here. If you want the lowdown on the Ducks’ enormous win and its heartbreaking effects on the Stars, read this post. Now let’s look at Wednesday’s other two contests.
After peppering Tomas Vokoun with 27 shots through the game’s first two periods, the Blackhawks only had one Brent Seabrook power-play goal for their troubles. Apparently they didn’t let that get to them, though, as they scored three more goals on seven shots in the third to dominate the over-matched Panthers in a crucial game for Chicago.
This win leaves Chicago at 88 points in 73 games played, good for a fifth place tie with the Los Angeles Kings and Nashville Predators, although the Blackhawks hold tie-breakers at the moment. Meanwhile, Florida’s tanking plans continue, as they are firmly behind the New York Islanders for the fourth-to-last spot in the NHL.
Both Patrick Marleau and Torrey Mitchell scored two goals as the Sharks brought themselves within one point of the West’s second seed thanks to their win and Detroit’s loss. Yet as nice as this win was for San Jose, the defeat borders on crippling for Calgary.
The Flames remain in 10th place with 85 points and only seven games remaining, with every team ahead of them holding at least two more standings points and at least one more game at hand. Considering how much these teams will play against each other as the season winds down, the odds are against the hard working but possibly out-of-luck Flames.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)