Mar 24, 2011, 1:20 AM EDT
For a recap of the Canucks’ convincing (but close) win against the Detroit Red Wings, click here. If you want the lowdown on the Ducks’ enormous win and its heartbreaking effects on the Stars, read this post. Now let’s look at Wednesday’s other two contests.
After peppering Tomas Vokoun with 27 shots through the game’s first two periods, the Blackhawks only had one Brent Seabrook power-play goal for their troubles. Apparently they didn’t let that get to them, though, as they scored three more goals on seven shots in the third to dominate the over-matched Panthers in a crucial game for Chicago.
This win leaves Chicago at 88 points in 73 games played, good for a fifth place tie with the Los Angeles Kings and Nashville Predators, although the Blackhawks hold tie-breakers at the moment. Meanwhile, Florida’s tanking plans continue, as they are firmly behind the New York Islanders for the fourth-to-last spot in the NHL.
Both Patrick Marleau and Torrey Mitchell scored two goals as the Sharks brought themselves within one point of the West’s second seed thanks to their win and Detroit’s loss. Yet as nice as this win was for San Jose, the defeat borders on crippling for Calgary.
The Flames remain in 10th place with 85 points and only seven games remaining, with every team ahead of them holding at least two more standings points and at least one more game at hand. Considering how much these teams will play against each other as the season winds down, the odds are against the hard working but possibly out-of-luck Flames.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 11
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 28
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)