Mar 24, 2011, 1:20 AM EST
For a recap of the Canucks’ convincing (but close) win against the Detroit Red Wings, click here. If you want the lowdown on the Ducks’ enormous win and its heartbreaking effects on the Stars, read this post. Now let’s look at Wednesday’s other two contests.
After peppering Tomas Vokoun with 27 shots through the game’s first two periods, the Blackhawks only had one Brent Seabrook power-play goal for their troubles. Apparently they didn’t let that get to them, though, as they scored three more goals on seven shots in the third to dominate the over-matched Panthers in a crucial game for Chicago.
This win leaves Chicago at 88 points in 73 games played, good for a fifth place tie with the Los Angeles Kings and Nashville Predators, although the Blackhawks hold tie-breakers at the moment. Meanwhile, Florida’s tanking plans continue, as they are firmly behind the New York Islanders for the fourth-to-last spot in the NHL.
Both Patrick Marleau and Torrey Mitchell scored two goals as the Sharks brought themselves within one point of the West’s second seed thanks to their win and Detroit’s loss. Yet as nice as this win was for San Jose, the defeat borders on crippling for Calgary.
The Flames remain in 10th place with 85 points and only seven games remaining, with every team ahead of them holding at least two more standings points and at least one more game at hand. Considering how much these teams will play against each other as the season winds down, the odds are against the hard working but possibly out-of-luck Flames.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)