Mar 24, 2011, 1:20 AM EDT
For a recap of the Canucks’ convincing (but close) win against the Detroit Red Wings, click here. If you want the lowdown on the Ducks’ enormous win and its heartbreaking effects on the Stars, read this post. Now let’s look at Wednesday’s other two contests.
After peppering Tomas Vokoun with 27 shots through the game’s first two periods, the Blackhawks only had one Brent Seabrook power-play goal for their troubles. Apparently they didn’t let that get to them, though, as they scored three more goals on seven shots in the third to dominate the over-matched Panthers in a crucial game for Chicago.
This win leaves Chicago at 88 points in 73 games played, good for a fifth place tie with the Los Angeles Kings and Nashville Predators, although the Blackhawks hold tie-breakers at the moment. Meanwhile, Florida’s tanking plans continue, as they are firmly behind the New York Islanders for the fourth-to-last spot in the NHL.
Both Patrick Marleau and Torrey Mitchell scored two goals as the Sharks brought themselves within one point of the West’s second seed thanks to their win and Detroit’s loss. Yet as nice as this win was for San Jose, the defeat borders on crippling for Calgary.
The Flames remain in 10th place with 85 points and only seven games remaining, with every team ahead of them holding at least two more standings points and at least one more game at hand. Considering how much these teams will play against each other as the season winds down, the odds are against the hard working but possibly out-of-luck Flames.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20